Blackwater themed aquarium

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
p.s. (Important) get those chunks you put in there of the plants and carefully split them into about 6 plantlets. They wont grow as well in chunks as they will individual plants.

Can you clarify what you mean?
I split the plants I bought into 4 sections and planted them from there.
The ADA Amazonia Aquasoil I have is not a fine particulate size. I think if I went with smaller plantings, there would not be enough "suction" to hold smaller plantings in place.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Can you clarify what you mean?
I split the plants I bought into 4 sections and planted them from there.
The ADA Amazonia Aquasoil I have is not a fine particulate size. I think if I went with smaller plantings, there would not be enough "suction" to hold smaller plantings in place.
Split those four into 2, plant them deeper (as long as there is still leaves showing)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
There's really not much that has changed.

Nitrate 2
Phosphate .25
TDS 97
Kh 89.5 ppm
GH 35.8 ppm
PH 7.4
Temperature 24c/75f

No water changes, no filtration, minimal circulation (150 gph pump)

Angelfish are constantly spawning
Otocinclus are healthy and active

Daily feeding consists of a single algae wafer, pinch of dried bloodworms 2X/day, 6 shrimp pellets.
The brown tint from the tannins has all but disappeared, almond leaves have completely decomposed, there are small growths of algae fuzz and java moss here and there.

One thing I noticed is that if switch food from dried bloodworms to flake food, the water becomes slightly cloudy for a couple of days then I switch back to dried bloodworms and after a couple of more days the cloudiness disappears.

I'm not getting too aggressive trying to bring down the PH or raise the temperature until I have more fish transferred from my planted aquarium that contain some neons and corydoras.

This tank is even less maintenance that the Walstad style aquarium I tried previously.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What about the carpet plants? what I was more interested in, in this setup.

Ask a Question