Blind koi?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Glad to hear that things have improved. I would delay the water change for a couple of days. I would also not recommend a water change of 60%-70%. The fish have already gone through an extended period of stress which the Melafix seems to have stopped. That large of a water change will only stress the fish again. Give them a little rest period and do several smaller changes if you feel that it is needed.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Glad to hear that things have improved. I would delay the water change for a couple of days. I would also not recommend a water change of 60%-70%. The fish have already gone through an extended period of stress which the Melafix seems to have stopped. That large of a water change will only stress the fish again. Give them a little rest period and do several smaller changes if you feel that it is needed.
I'm going to do the water change on my 2nd pond. Everything is up and running but no water changes have been done since last fall. Water temp is up to 48. I won't be doing anything with the problem bond except following thru with the Melafix for the 7 days they recommend. I got an under water camera today so hope to get a good look at everyone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to do the water change on my 2nd pond. Everything is up and running but no water changes have been done since last fall. Water temp is up to 48. I won't be doing anything with the problem bond except following thru with the Melafix for the 7 days they recommend. I got an under water camera today so hope to get a good look at everyone.
If the Melafix doesnt work then I suggest Formalin and Malachite be used instead

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What kind of underwater camera did you get? I would like to get one and not sure what to get or what I can afford lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20m-60ft-Ca...8807? =LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b62ef237
Here's the link to ebay for the camera I got. Price has gone up but I would pay asking price now for the quality! The quality of the video is amazing. We watch the koi channel more than the tv now. Have been able to get a really close look at the koi as they are checking out the new thing in the pond and I have had 2 try to eat it! I'm going to try to post a video soon.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Update- The water is starting to clear and even though the water temps dropped back below 50 several fish are out grazing on the string algae today. I was able to get a look and so far everybody looks fine. When this problem started , the live fish were all showing signs of secondary problems- fuzzy, pink areas etc. I have been doing small water changes and keeping the filters cleaned out. I'm going to start medicated food as soon as the weather permits. Still not sure how many are left but I have seen at least 8 shadows.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's a Elec camera system. Got the info from Sissy, 4 cameras and a dvr but mine isn't hooked up to anything but a monitor. I just moved it from one pond to the other. Made a pvc framework to hold it that hooks over the side of my ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Update- The water is starting to clear and even though the water temps dropped back below 50 several fish are out grazing on the string algae today. I was able to get a look and so far everybody looks fine. When this problem started , the live fish were all showing signs of secondary problems- fuzzy, pink areas etc. I have been doing small water changes and keeping the filters cleaned out. I'm going to start medicated food as soon as the weather permits. Still not sure how many are left but I have seen at least 8 shadows.
Great news, sorry for your loss. Sounds like it has been stressful. Hopefully enjoyment will be back soon.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Head count is up to 10 today. Water is clearing with water changes and bog and filters running. I only see one fish with a problem which looks like fin rot so doing another round of melafix & pimafix. Everybody is out swimming, eating algae and waiting for real food. Water temps are back at 50+ so maybe by weeks end I can start antibiotic food. Second pond - no problems Yah!!! Thankful that water company has not gone to monthly meter reads. Right now we are allowed 18000 gallons every 3 months. They are changing to monthly readings this summer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only thing that meters our water is our well pump, so nice not to need to think about it.
Glad you are seeing good things in your pond mrsclem

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I started a calendar to keep track of the treatments on the ponds. Its been a month since I started having problems. I now have 13 fish that survived. All are active and aside from several that have fin rot, the worst of it is over. I have added bacteria to the filters, salt level coming up to .2% today and started medicated food 2 days ago. I still have a lot of string algae but between what I can pull out and what the fish are eating, it should be gone soon.
The underwater camera is probably the best investment made for the ponds. I am getting a good close up look at the fish so I can monitor treatments. I now have treatment numbers I am happy with.
water test results 4/2/2015 Ammonia-0
nitrites- 0
nitrates-0
ph-8
gh- 89.5
kh- 161.5

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to hear mrsclem, going in the right direction.

Ask a Question