Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've got the perimeter of the bog free of gravel down to the apparent level of the leak. Tomorrow morning I'm going to inspect with a strong light to see if i can find anything. I have felt everywhere with fingers, but discovered nothing at all. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While your feeling for a puncture or tear . Also push and feel for a soft area

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your help. I have decided to go with a stock tank set inside the existing bog structure.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb on how manyinches of fiah a cubic foot of pea gravel can properly filter for? I have 15 goldfish at about 6” each, so 90” of fishin total. Will a stock tank 2’ x 2’ x 6’ full of pea gravel provide enough filtering.

thanks for any insight

Bob

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your help. I have decided to go with a stock tank set inside the existing bog structure.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb on how manyinches of fiah a cubic foot of pea gravel can properly filter for? I have 15 goldfish at about 6” each, so 90” of fishin total. Will a stock tank 2’ x 2’ x 6’ full of pea gravel provide enough filtering.

thanks for any insight

Bob

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The "inch of fish per" whatever rule doesn't work for well, anything actually. For quick review of why, check out this chart:

Anyway - goldfish aren't really that big of a deal when it comes to filtering. I've seen goldfish ponds with literally no filter at all that were clear and thriving, just teeming with fish. Anything you add in the way of filtration will be a bonus.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

thanks for any insight

Bob
How many gallons is the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
@LuapYllier - you can also build your bog with a "snorkel" unit that allows you to drop a pump down to the bottom to clean it out if need be. We built ours with one of these - a clean out pipe wasn't practical in our particular situation. (Having said that, we never need to pump it out as there's really nothing TO pump out - it has stayed very clean.)

View attachment 139986
What is this and where can I learn more about it? It doesn't look like aquascapes' snorkel and centipede.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Just chiming in here to say hello and make a comment about my bog/upflow wetland filter. The pond water is crystal clear. I do have some string algae in the shallow bog water - as well as some brown "crumblies" in the surface gravel.
I was thinking maybe I had gunk built up in the filter at the bottom, so I got my sump pump out and prepared to pump out from the bottom of the snorkel.
When I opened the lid, I was surprised to find NOTHING but super clear water, all the way down to the bottom of the settling chamber.
I think the brown crumblies and string algae are all a part of how the bog functions - part of the system.
All my water tests are perfect.
I'm really happy with how everything is working!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to hear @bagsmom , I know how long you waited to rebuild your pond and the challenges you faced. ALMOST DAILY. Those pikes of brown fluff on the bog is excrement from the fish that went through the gravel in the bog and was processed and came out almost microscopicly. I tried to clean out the bottom of my snorkel year after year it wasn't untill year 4 that I started to get any build up . Then I re did the bog thus I'm betting in another 4 years I might find more build up to flush out .

Last edited:

Ask a Question