Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, Addy1. It's good to hear from experienced people when I'm setting out on a big job of shovelling and concrete/block work!
Bob Chapman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bob, I too have read all the folks on Koiphen say about a bog for filtration. In general they mostly seem to be folk who enjoy the technical aspect of koi keeping, so they love to go into the nitty gritty details about all types of filtration. I think the simplicity of bog filtration goes against the grain for them.
Living close enough, we went to visit Addy's pond. The water is crystal clear - it is fantastic to see. She has the simplest filtration system and it is eco-friendly! Now there is nothing simple about Addy's plethora of ponds and connecting streams! It is a delight!
I posted pics of Addy's pond here https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/visiting-addy1-today.17308/
There is a pic of the bog (statue of heron in it) - the water flowing back into the pond is as clear as tap water. As you can see from the photo the bog is stuffed full of all kinds of plants. Perhaps folk who didn't find success didn't make the bog big enough, or didn't put in enough plants, or actually wanted to spend all their free-time tinkering with their technical filtration system.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol I was told it would be a failure during my build. I went against advice. The only bog I had that did not do well was a top for down, it's surface clogged all of the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Very interesting topic! I have a question though. My new bog is small, about 3x4 feet and 16" deep. I'm running about 1000 GPH through it. A 1/2 yard of pea gravel left me with only about an inch and 1/2 above the water. I'm not a fan of the raw pea gravel surface and wonder what would be the result of...

Bringing the surface up with a heavy weed barrier on top of the gravel, extending beyond the edges of the liner, then putting an inch or two of Coco Coir (coconut husk fibers) on top. Of course, I'd have to cut the weed barrier where I plant, but it should still keep the coir out of the gravel. Wet, it would look much more like a bog surface and it will wick moisture up through itself.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wouldn't take the weed barrier out past the liner, it, most likely, will wick water out of your bog/pond system. You can try that, no clue how it will work. Coco Coir makes a good organic planting mx, no clue how it would do in a pond.

The pea gravel disappears as the plants grow, by May you can't even see mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Thanks Addy,

That's a good point about the weed barrier wicking water away to the surrounding soil. With that modification, I think I'll try this and see how it works out. If it's a problem, it shouldn't take much to remove it.

I'm trying to go with all "native" plants (south central Oregon), and have friends with a large wetland and stream through their ranch. They are letting us remove small starts, once they come up. We're still getting off and on snow flurries and freezing nights mixed with some 70 degree days.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
my bog is starting very well this year. last year is my first year and any plants i put in there didnt live long... but i was mistaken!! i saw a few of them came back just now!!

Cant wait to see my bog full of plants!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You will be yanking plants before you know it. They grow darn well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
my bog is starting very well this year. last year is my first year and any plants i put in there didnt live long... but i was mistaken!! i saw a few of them came back just now!!

Cant wait to see my bog full of plants!

Like Addy said, they'll do better than you ever expected. Last summer was our first full season on a newly constructed bog. Around early November I un-ceremoniously ripped out half of the plants that had grown throughout the summer due to their threat of over-growing the boundaries. This winter it froze solid, but as soon as the winter began to loose it's grip the lizard tail and iris started growing and already the pea gravel is totally covered with new growth. If we get a week forecast with 50-60 degree daytime temps I think I'm going to cull again as a preventive measure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A 1/2 yard of pea gravel left me with only about an inch and 1/2 above the water.

I was also going to suggest that you just give it time - we had to add a layer of gravel to the top of our bog the first few years as it will settle over time. Now we have a couple of inches of water above the gravel which is just perfect for us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I did go ahead with the coco coir on top. Near the spillway, I took the pea gravel down about 1 1/2" below the surface and held both gravel and coir back with some rocks, so it forms a pool that burbles out of the gravel like a spring. The birds really like this spot! Even with no plants yet, the water in the ponds has cleared amazingly.

MG_5751 bog with coir.jpg

The wire is for a "rock" outdoor speaker which will sometimes be playing a larger rushing-over-rocks water sound, possible ambient background birds and frogs and other times music. Another will be placed near the waterfall into the lower pond.

The piping will be hidden behind a thin rock wall about 20" tall. The smaller, 3/4" pipe will come from the skimmer and spill down the rock face or out of it partway up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Keep us updated as to how it goes, interesting way to do it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Years ago, I did a lot of model railroading and scenery was my favorite part. I built a lot of mountains and streams, using a variety of traditional and experimental techniques. I've used some of those techniques on the other ponds I've built in the past, with great success. I'm finally to the point where my real fun begins (as I have time).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I live that idea, Stephen! Just a thought, though. Make sure you don't have any really heavy root plants right behind those rocks in the bog, as the roots may cover up the exit flow of the water, and cause the water to spill over the top of the bog, and outside the pond area, thus draining your pond. Most of us have had this happen in streams and at the outflow of bogs, or at least I have! I now keep all plants away from the overflow areas. :)

Ask a Question