Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have an idea for an active bog. This low spot I want to put a skimmer. Then have that gravity flow to a bog. I want the pump at the end of the bog then pump back into the pond. Does this sound good?

Another way I could do it is have the bog directly in the pond. I am just not sure how to divide it to keep the gravel in one area. The bottom of the pond is basicly flat. It slopes so it has a deep end. But no shelves really.

Attachments

• 20180223_174408.jpg
    20180223_174408.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 137

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Will you have the lines under the gravel? So the water will flow up through the bog and then to the skimmer. You would need to make sure you have enough flow to keep up with the demand of the skimmer pump.

If the water just flows over the top of the bog it tends to just get covered with debris, mud muck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Will you have the lines under the gravel? So the water will flow up through the bog and then to the skimmer. You would need to make sure you have enough flow to keep up with the demand of the skimmer pump.

If the water just flows over the top of the bog it tends to just get covered with debris, mud muck.
The skimmer would be first then to the bog with piping below the gravel. But all of that would be gravity and pumped back to pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If I'm understanding correctly, you want a gravity fed bog. I'm not sure you'll get the flow rate you need. But maybe I lack imagination. Are you drawing with the pump down through the gravel? Or planning for the water to just seep down through the gravel? Where will the pump live?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I was thinking of a weir to hold the gravel back and have the pump there.
I am not sure if my idea will work. I may not have enough fall for the gravity to work how I want it to. I want the bog container to be sitting in the ground so it won't freeze.
I am also thinking of having the bog in the pond. But not sure how to set that up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This sounds more problematic than it has to be, imo. My bog is gravity fed (now) but I have the force coming from 40" up, not at the same level. This is so I GET UPFLOW, which is far superior to a surface/downflow through your bog media. I think in your case it would be better to pump from the skimmer bottom then into the bog (force fed through flex pvc -- larger, 4" drain tile tube with slits. The water then is forced up through your bog, which should then pour back into your pond. This will suppose you have a backup plan for if your skimmer water level gets too low and forces your pump to suck air. To get gravity fed, you need to help create the force with which to make it work.

In my case, I don't have the skimmer but all the rest above is in place, with the addition of a mechanical filter as a pre-bog filter (which is what your skimmer will do for you). I don't worry re water level going low as I don't have the skimmer. To clarify; pump in pond, water to mech filter (40" higher than bog), which pours down a tube which runs beneath the bog media, water rises up through and then over pours into my stream, then down into the pond.

From talking to Meyer last year, I also had worries I would not have enough 'force' from just gravity (bog USED to be pump fed, forced) but he assured me the 40" height would do it (and it did). There won't be much gravity force if you don't elevate somewhat, hence putting a pump in your skimmer and pumping from there instead. You won't need this additional height then.

I was unclear exactly where you were going to put your pump but if you had ideas of beneath the bog and pulling water, imagine trying to clean/fix/replace the pump. Maybe I just didn't understand but making sure all angles are covered.

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
CS; here's the link to how I patterned my bog (originally); there's a pic link embedded and it really helped. Now, the ONLY part I didn't get and thought was unclear is when you dig your bog, SLOPE the sides toward the bottom to mimic a funnel. This will make any bog cleaning much much easier. I made my sides too straight. Hindsight...hindsight!

http://www.bogfiltration.com/bogfiltration.html

Hope it helps give you ideas.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice write up! ^^^
I made my bog huge, deep, bottom force fed via pipes and most of the pond water running through it. Full of plants.

I was told by many that it would not work, keep my pond clean, clog up etc. I love the sucker, I never have to fuss with the pond, filters, water, no green water, minimal algae. Pond water tests always perfect, quit testing years ago.

If I ever built another pond it would be built the same way, a huge bog to care for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This sounds more problematic than it has to be, imo. My bog is gravity fed (now) but I have the force coming from 40" up, not at the same level. This is so I GET UPFLOW, which is far superior to a surface/downflow through your bog media. I think in your case it would be better to pump from the skimmer bottom then into the bog (force fed through flex pvc -- larger, 4" drain tile tube with slits. The water then is forced up through your bog, which should then pour back into your pond. This will suppose you have a backup plan for if your skimmer water level gets too low and forces your pump to suck air. To get gravity fed, you need to help create the force with which to make it work.

In my case, I don't have the skimmer but all the rest above is in place, with the addition of a mechanical filter as a pre-bog filter (which is what your skimmer will do for you). I don't worry re water level going low as I don't have the skimmer. To clarify; pump in pond, water to mech filter (40" higher than bog), which pours down a tube which runs beneath the bog media, water rises up through and then over pours into my stream, then down into the pond.

From talking to Meyer last year, I also had worries I would not have enough 'force' from just gravity (bog USED to be pump fed, forced) but he assured me the 40" height would do it (and it did). There won't be much gravity force if you don't elevate somewhat, hence putting a pump in your skimmer and pumping from there instead. You won't need this additional height then.

I was unclear exactly where you were going to put your pump but if you had ideas of beneath the bog and pulling water, imagine trying to clean/fix/replace the pump. Maybe I just didn't understand but making sure all angles are covered.

Michael
I was planing on the bog tank having a weir at the end to house the pump. But after your post it's a moot point. I won't have the fall I need to get the water threw the gravel.
CS; here's the link to how I patterned my bog (originally); there's a pic link embedded and it really helped. Now, the ONLY part I didn't get and thought was unclear is when you dig your bog, SLOPE the sides toward the bottom to mimic a funnel. This will make any bog cleaning much much easier. I made my sides too straight. Hindsight...hindsight!

http://www.bogfiltration.com/bogfiltration.html

Hope it helps give you ideas.
I was thinking of using a big tank. I think I can get one at a reasonable price. The easiest way I think I can do this is to have it directly in my pond. But not sure of what I want to do. Decisions decisions lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Build a bog outside your pond. Dig a hole, put in a EPDM liner, then use your skimmer (in the pond) to pull water from the pond, through the skimmer filter, and then have that pump push the water into the bog, through pipes down to the bottom of the bog, and have the bog overflow back into the pond. This is how I have my one of my ponds working the bog. You can also put a submersible pump in the pond (on a milk crate or something to keep it off the bottom, just in case of a leak, so your pond doesn't drain all the way), and fun the outflow into the bog. Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gosh I love those instructions @brokensword - very clear and the pictures are so helpful! Bless whoever the person is who took the time to do that! That's basically what we did, but we really had to put together lots of different suggestions to get to that point. And we did buy the patented, plastic parts! Making our own would have been more fun and definitely cheaper!

And to add - our bog is six years old as of this coming July and we've not had to clean it yet. I'm not sure why these instructions say you'll need to clean it every few months, but it could be that the water coming to our bog is free of debris. Because we have what amounts to a down flow gravel filter before the water gets to the pump t's clear water going through the bog. If you were pumping debris through it, I imagine it would get dirty faster.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was planing on the bog tank having a weir at the end to house the pump. But after your post it's a moot point. I won't have the fall I need to get the water threw the gravel.

I was thinking of using a big tank. I think I can get one at a reasonable price. The easiest way I think I can do this is to have it directly in my pond. But not sure of what I want to do. Decisions decisions lol
I wouldn't put anything IN the pond re bog tank as you'll just take up valuable pond space. ALWAYS remember the Ponder's Credo; you shall always want a bigger pond. So, what you're doing is basically a violation! :rolleyes:

Do as Country and most of us have; next to your pond, dig the hole, use liner, force feed water into a pipe that runs at the bottom and let it upflow, then overpour back into your pond. If you want the skimmer, just make sure there's a pump there that has protection against going dry (maybe a float switch, here).

Michael

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice write up! ^^^
I made my bog huge, deep, bottom force fed via pipes and most of the pond water running through it. Full of plants.

I was told by many that it would not work, keep my pond clean, clog up etc. I love the sucker, I never have to fuss with the pond, filters, water, no green water, minimal algae. Pond water tests always perfect, quit testing years ago.

If I ever built another pond it would be built the same way, a huge bog to care for it.
Agree, addy; don't know how or why I glommed onto this page/idea, but glad I did. Found this page before I found yours, else I'd have followed your thread re bog building. What I particularly like (as opposed to yours, pardon me) is the larger 4" piping; I think it helps with water distribution and blockage, not to mention cleaning if needed. I really wished I'd paid attention to the shape (sloped sides) more, though.

This page is by a pro name of Dave Jones; he and I even talked a year or so (he's in Atlanta) and he's very nice to help me with his time. Also, Meyer and he were acquaintances. Both told me to increase the outlet on my pump and I'd get better/more flow than if I kept it at max outlet size. Really helped with my mech drum filter last year.

Michael

Ask a Question