Bog filter clean out plumbing thoughts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm creating Bog filter for my pond, it's a similar style to an aquascape filter, with a large water reservoir under it and with around 600mm of grade gravel on top.

Now to make life difficult for myself the bog will fed from two bottom drains, I know I know, it will go through a simple strainer, built in a 55gl barrel, to get the biggest stuff out, but over time a lot will get into the bog and could potential clog the bog.

The bog has been designed with a bit of a slope down to a chamber where I can drop a sump pump down to clean it. i.e. typical centipede into snorkel, I'm using an perforated 6" twin wall pipe leading into inspection chamber.

Now I am a bit lazy and because of the design the bog may need flushing quite often I want to make it as easy as possible.

So I could just leave the sump pump in the inspection chamber with pipe work coming up and out through the lid of chamber (snorkel) to flush the crap out.

Are there other or better ways to simplify the back flush?

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I build mine I think I'll use PVC instead of a snorkel if any kind. Then I can just hook up a shop vac to it to suck the gunk out. No need to buy a sump pump that way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm creating Bog filter for my pond, it's a similar style to an aquascape filter, with a large water reservoir under it and with around 600mm of grade gravel on top.

Now to make life difficult for myself the bog will fed from two bottom drains, I know I know, it will go through a simple strainer, built in a 55gl barrel, to get the biggest stuff out, but over time a lot will get into the bog and could potential clog the bog.

The bog has been designed with a bit of a slope down to a chamber where I can drop a sump pump down to clean it. i.e. typical centipede into snorkel, I'm using an perforated 6" twin wall pipe leading into inspection chamber.

Now I am a bit lazy and because of the design the bog may need flushing quite often I want to make it as easy as possible.

So I could just leave the sump pump in the inspection chamber with pipe work coming up and out through the lid of chamber (snorkel) to flush the crap out.

Are there other or better ways to simplify the back flush?
So your going to have gravity feed to the pre filter and then pump to the bog? If so you are going to need a very large area, as this filter starts to clog and yes it could do so especially in the spring or fall . the pump on the other side of the filter can easily draw more water than what maybe getting through . Thus start sucking in air and blowing in to much air into the bottom of the bog. This can be a problem. It deletes surface area as large air pockets can be created. And too much air can kill one type of bacteria forcing another to grow making your bog bounce around. Now i do pump air into my snorkel but it stays there i do not allow the bubbles concentration to get to the centipede. my pre filter is a pressurized strainer basket just like what is found in a pool and it stops anything large even masses of algae. They do sell a double or triple basket strainer one that i bet would be just as the dr ordered. In your setup with the skimmers. to deal; with most leaves the bottom drain shouldn't see much an large waste

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So your going to have gravity feed to the pre filter and then pump to the bog? If so you are going to need a very large area, as this filter starts to clog and yes it could do so especially in the spring or fall . the pump on the other side of the filter can easily draw more water than what maybe getting through . Thus start sucking in air and blowing in to much air into the bottom of the bog. This can be a problem. It deletes surface area as large air pockets can be created. And too much air can kill one type of bacteria forcing another to grow making your bog bounce around. Now i do pump air into my snorkel but it stays there i do not allow the bubbles concentration to get to the centipede. my pre filter is a pressurized strainer basket just like what is found in a pool and it stops anything large even masses of algae. They do sell a double or triple basket strainer one that i bet would be just as the dr ordered. In your setup with the skimmers. to deal; with most leaves the bottom drain shouldn't see much an large waste
This will cause me a bit of a head ache, my fall back plan was to replace the "strainer" with a drum filter it wasn't good enough, I think what you are are saying even with drum filter some air may be sucked in.

What ever I use, it needs to be low maintenance.

My understanding is as I'm using a bottom drains I need to try to start the worst of the debris going into the bog. I'm not quite sure what the "pressurized strainer basket" are, I've just had a quick look over here and can't really find anything, I presume you don't mean the little Stainer pots Infront of pumps?

Perhaps do no prefiltering and just have a really good way to wash out the bottom of the bog. I could run a number of land drains perforated pipe through the water reservoir at the bottom of the bog, connected to a cleanout pump, which will pump the debris out into garden planting area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I build mine I think I'll use PVC instead of a snorkel if any kind. Then I can just hook up a shop vac to it to suck the gunk out. No need to buy a sump pump that way.
I was thinking about permeant pipes i could put in the bottom of the water reservoir under the bog, these are connected to a robust pump, then with a flick of a switch I could pump at the worst. ( I would have shut a valve so water is not sucked from the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This will cause me a bit of a head ache, my fall back plan was to replace the "strainer" with a drum filter it wasn't good enough, I think what you are are saying even with drum filter some air may be sucked in.

What ever I use, it needs to be low maintenance.

My understanding is as I'm using a bottom drains I need to try to start the worst of the debris going into the bog. I'm not quite sure what the "pressurized strainer basket" are, I've just had a quick look over here and can't really find anything, I presume you don't mean the little Stainer pots Infront of pumps?

Perhaps do no prefiltering and just have a really good way to wash out the bottom of the bog. I could run a number of land drains perforated pipe through the water reservoir at the bottom of the bog, connected to a cleanout pump, which will pump the debris out into garden planting area.
That should say

My understanding is as I'm using a bottom drains I need to try to stop the worst of the debris going into the bog. I'm not quite sure what the "pressurized strainer basket" are, I've just had a quick look over here and can't really find anything, I presume you don't mean the little Stainer pots Infront of pumps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just refreshing this thread.

Any suggestions on what I can do to aid future bog/wetland filter clean outs? It's basically it's the same layout as a aquascape wetland filter

Currently I thinking of running the "caterpillar" pipe on floor of the bog with the cut outs in the crates so they fit around the around the "caterpillar" pipe, this is allow better circulation around the pipe. My thinking is if I put in a trough under the crates it may harder to clean.

I then will drop a sump pump down every time I clean it. Is it worth plumbing cleanout plumbing? if so what will it look like?

Ask a Question