Mother of all bog filters

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond1 Medium.jpg

I have an 11’ (132”) x 7’ (84”) x 2.5’ (30”) square (with rounded corners) shaped pond. The area is about 11,088 in ². We have 10 large Koi and 2 Red Eared Slider turtles, so I need a bog that is about 25% of that. I have a ~60” kiddie pool for a bog and it’s not working (no clear water). I was going to upgrade to a 150 gal Stock Tank (3’ x 5’)(60” x 36”). I just did the math (that’s why I included all the numbers) and found out that my Kiddie Pool Island Bog Filter has more surface area (4071 in²) than my 150 gal stock tank (2160 in²). 36% vs. 18%. Oh no!
My Storage Bin Bog filter was too small.
My Kiddie Pool Island Bog Filter might need some adjustments.
I guess I’m remaking my Kiddie Pool Island Bog filter tomorrow and see if that works.
But, that brings me to my question, I guess. To make a Partition Bog, if I build a wall a few feet from the waterfall and put a partition there, the pond is 2.5’ deep so, what do I rest the pea gravel bin on?
FYI, to make the ², hold down the Alt key, type 253 on the keypad, release the Alt key.
Bog 1.jpgBog 2 Medium.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your pond looks nice but I'm thinking it is way too small for all those koi plus turtles too. They are all poop machines. Any way to make another pond attached to this one to make it bigger? A bog is a very good idea too!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IT'S NOT THE surface area of the BOG to calculate the percentage. its the percentage of the surface area of the pond to give the size that's need to make the bog but like all RULES they are a guide and do not fit every scenario.

Mother of all bogs is not a kiddie pool. My bog is 20x8x6 with a second 6x8x1 and a stagnant bog 6x10 AND I STILL LOOK FOR MORE FILTRATION

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your pond looks nice but I'm thinking it is way too small for all those koi plus turtles too. They are all poop machines. Any way to make another pond attached to this one to make it bigger? A bog is a very good idea too!
There's not enough room to add another pond/bog. Maybe, I can put one behind the seating area. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
IT'S NOT THE surface area of the BOG to calculate the percentage. its the percentage of the surface area of the pond to give the size that's need to make the bog but like all RULES they are a guide and do not fit every scenario.

Mother of all bogs is not a kiddie pool. My bog is 20x8x6 with a second 6x8x1 and a stagnant bog 6x10 AND I STILL LOOK FOR MORE FILTRATION
This is just a residential backyard pond. I don't have room for much more space to be taken up for the pond. I could add muck collectors.
If I go with the Stock Tank, I can have 1.5 feet of pea gravel. Do you think that (and plants) will help?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
plants always help will one plant fix your problem probably not. take some photos and place them on a post . That's the best way we can help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you don't have the ability to add more filtration, you need to reduce your fish load. That many fish in that volume of water will eventually spell disaster. If you don't do it, nature will and that's just sad.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you don't have the ability to add more filtration, you need to reduce your fish load. That many fish in that volume of water will eventually spell disaster. If you don't do it, nature will and that's just sad.
The water is clearing. My kiddie pool island bog filter is starting to work. Or, it's just the time of year. But, the I'm actually going to add a Stock Tank bog filter. It will take up some room in the pond but, it will clean up the algae more quickly.

Ask a Question