Bog filter build question

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am building an above ground bog filter using a 110 gallon stock tank. I would like to have gravel above the water line to eliminate algae growth. My discharge is on one side. Does anyone know if the water will flow through the filter evenly with gravel above the water line?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You might have several discharge pipes for back up.

My biggest lesson about bog filters is that water seems to defy gravity and rise higher than I expected.

I know it does follow the laws of physics, but friction and resistance and clogs let the water rise much higher than you think it will. Gravel and plants and roots readily make dams that back the water up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take the path of least resistance while if you have a high spot of gravel in your bog the Main flow will go around it but some water will work its way through.

as mentioned above using pipes can be risky as they can clog very easily and quickly leading to draining the pond.

Ask a Question