Cleaning preformed filter falls/bog

Reaction score
I have a preformed filter falls/bog "thingy:lol:". It has a plastic grate on the bottom, then a filter pad, and then a lot of lava rocks with about 4 plants growing in it. How often does this need cleaned out? I know it shouldn't be too often but, won't it slow down my water flow if it gets too much crap?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should clean it with pond water, you don't want to kill the good bacteria. Does it have a port at the bottom of the thingy to back flush it? You could do a back wash of it. Can you get the filter pad out, or do you need to pull the rocks out first? You should clean the filter pad and rinse the rock. I used lava rock in my other pond, and back flushed them every other week or so.

Reaction score
I can't remember if I put the filter pad in or not. If I put it in I would have to take out all of the lave rock and plants to get to it.
Should I take out the lava rock and clean them(with pond water)? How often, every year?
Thanks,
Mike

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a lava rock filter and back flushed it at least once a month. Lots of yuck would come out.

And yes your water will slow down if it gets too full of junk. How is your water doing? are your levels good, nitrates etc? If so you may being doing fine as it is. The plants do a good job filtering also.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
depending how big it is , the time of year, and the fish load
I back wash my 55 gal drums every week during the summer less during the fall.not much during the winter.
Do you have a drain on the bottom like addy mentioned ? it would make the job easy

Reaction score
I don't have a drain in the bottom. My original thought was the media in the skimmer would pick up a lot of the crap but I'm sure a lot made past there and into the lava rock and filter falls.

If I turn off my pump and dump buckets of pond water through the lava rock would that work? And maybe suck out the skimmer out with a shop vac. That is where the stuff would go.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could try that, but you will also have some of the stuff end up back in the pond unless your water level in the pond is lower than the skimmer.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Does the line come into the filter down low ?
If it does you can add 2 valves one to turn the line off from the skimmer and the other for the drain ...It would save you a lot of problems

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you post a picture of your thingy? Showing the lines,it would help us help you

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Can you post a picture of your thingy? Showing the lines,it would help us help you

I think if I did that, they would kick me off the forum LOL:lol: :lol:
I can't take a pic of the lines, they are all buried. I like everything out of sight and not exposed to the weather.

But, I do like the valve idea. That gave me a good idea. I just have to see what is available with valves, Y's and T's. I think I could come up with something.
Are you able to glue flex line in to fittings? Does home depot have this stuff or a pond store?
Thanks for the ideas.....and the laugh.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They have fittings that you can glue into piping, they stretch out, you could also glue flex line in as long as you have fittings that will attach firmly to the solid pipe and the flex.
home depot and lowes have a lot of stuff that you can make work, you might want to go to a plumbing store if you have issues with fittings.

Ask a Question