Bog filter gut check before construction

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'll send some of the 50's were having tomorrow your way in the mean time send some just 20 degrees this way and some dry weather the rain is messing with the dc thunder tomorrow

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Woke up to 38 degrees today - luckily I was too darn exhausted to plant all my flowers and garden this week, so I was able to drag all the plants back inside for a few nights. Going to be a bit cooler even tonight and then it warms up, hopefully for the duration! But that 60 degree day yesterday made a good day for getting some weeding done!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
geez we never got above 49 and wet
I hear you; had almost record temps last week (90F) and then barely 44 on Friday before limping into windy chill 49F yesterday. Kicking myself for NOT waiting to take out my one trop lily...sigh. Suppose the lower temp is going to retard any hope of getting flowers. @addy1 ; question--how does your hardy purple lily do in regards to propagation? Is is comparable to your others or does it grow slowly? I've had 2 purple hardies now and both have perished with very little flowers. I'm VERY loathe now to buy online and would much prefer to actually SEE the lily in question but the last garden center I visited wasn't even getting any (Detective Erika). Don't suppose you plan on dividing any of your purple herd, do you? Let me know if this is a possibility!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These 40's and low 50's are a bitch at 70 mph on the highway. Ride on

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 ; question--how does your hardy purple lily do in regards to propagation? Is is comparable to your others or does it grow slowly? I've had 2 purple hardies now and both have perished with very little flowers. I'm VERY loathe now to buy online and would much prefer to actually SEE the lily in question but the last garden center I visited wasn't even getting any (Detective Erika). Don't suppose you plan on dividing any of your purple herd, do you? Let me know if this is a possibility!
My purples grow slower than the others, but still alive and blooming. They do best once it warms up more. The razzberry is doing great blooms great. Even my hardies got a slow start this year. We were 45 this am just now getting to 50.

You never know at some time I might be able to divide. Watch @mrsclem she is growing a lot of nice lilies and lotus will be offering some for sale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
We have a bog! Despite the temps, we got out there and just about finished it. Still need some rocks around the sides and to get some plants (iris, canna, elephant ear, mash marigold). But it came out well and I'm happy with it (for now). Thanks all for your help and suggestions!

Finished dimensions: 30" wide on the narrow end, 50" wide on the other, 6 feet long. 20" total depth with 13-14" of pea gravel and the water is currently 2" or so above the gravel. The water level in the bog is about 6" higher than the pond, and I have 4" of liner to increase the height of the bog if necessary. After I plant a few more bigger plants I will add another couple inches of pea gravel.

20210530_100345.jpg

Putting the kid to work!
20210530_093337.jpg

20210530_111742.jpg

That's Moose. He's...helping?
20210530_121921.jpg

Definitely love the double waterfall.
20210530_144548.jpg

Water lettuce, hyacinth, some sort of creek lily, and a few clumps of creeping jenny to start it off.
20210530_144802.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Kind of the opposite of 4-90 air conditioning that we had in the 70's. (4 windows open, 90 miles an hour)
My parent had a vent fan in the attic, where we kids slept, turned that fan on and we sweated.................. no ac back then. Take a shower after drying off still wet! After we all moved out grew up, ac installed for my mom.

Ask a Question