Bog filter gut check before construction

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks all! Got a few more plants today: black stem taro, red longwood canna, yellow monkey flower, and a couple six packs of impatiens. Some of the impatiens will go outside the bog along the retaining wall, and some around the pond in the shady areas. I'll put a few in the bog itself and see how they do.

This morning the water was a bit brown, but clear almost to the bottom. Mucked up the water again planting things, but the bog water is clear again after just an hour. Cool!

20210531_143104.jpg

20210531_143104.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great job and just watch those impatience they are going to explode and thats exactly what you want

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What I had I gave it all to someone already, he was the only one who spoke up. But I'll keep you in mind if I get back to the area where I harvested it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do these do well planted directly in the bog, or is it better to plant along the edges?

They'll do fine in either, as long as you don't plant them too deep. You can build up an area with gravel to plant them in if your water level is above your gravel. They just want their feet wet. Or keep them on the edges. They will be so pretty!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Whoops I was talking moss when you were talking impatience. Like Lisa said they like lots of water but only where the roots can suck up the water the stem needs to be above water level. I think thed do best just having the roots being able to take as much as they like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
They'll do fine in either, as long as you don't plant them too deep. You can build up an area with gravel to plant them in if your water level is above your gravel. They just want their feet wet. Or keep them on the edges. They will be so pretty!

Got it, thanks! I planted a few on the edge of the bog and made little volcanos of gravel so hopefully that will be sufficient. They look good this morning, so fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Be prepared to have your mind blown by how big and how fast they grow. And the best part is - you don't have to water them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They should be the stap0le of a first year pond . to keep algae from ever getting a foot hold

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They should be the stap0le of a first year pond . to keep algae from ever getting a foot hold

Agreed! Or every year - they're pretty, easy to find, easy to grow, and if you love impatience in general, you know the hardest part is keeping them watered in the heat of summer. In the pond - no problem!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Impatiens always seem to do well here, even in the heat as long as they are kept mostly in the shade. The sunpatiens and vinca are similar seem to do better in sunny areas with less water. I think they should do really well in this location, since the "she shed" is directly to the south and provides shade almost all day. The only downside is that it does get exposed to pretty intense sun from 4pm-6pm, in the hottest part of the day. I may invest in a triangular sail shade to help keep the pond temp down and give the shade-loving plants some relief.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not sure if this is because of the new bog addition, or just because of the season but all of the pond plants are really taking off! Water lettuce and hyacinth are nearly out of control and I've moved quite a bit of them into the bog. The canna and taro are also very happy, sending up new leaves and flowers. I'm wondering at this point whether to bypass the filter/UV canister I have in place going to the waterfall, or just leave as is for a while. There is still a small amount of hair algae, but far less than before the bog.

Checked the various levels and they look good as well. Happy camper here!

20210615_102743.jpg
20210614_124327.jpg

Ask a Question