Bog filter gut check before construction

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a roughly 600 gallon pond; 10'x6' and 30" at it's deepest point. It's about a year old at this point and has been working great aside from some algae issues. I had some green water last summer when the temps were high (95F average summer temp), and have been battling string/hair algae this Spring. All of this points to an excess of nitrate/nitrite in the water especially in the Spring when none of the plants are growing quickly and taking up those nutrients.

I've always wanted to build a bog filter not only for it's filtering capability, but also for some extra space to add some marginal plants. And if it helps soak up some of those excess nutrients then that is a fantastic benefit. In the pictures you can see the general layout of the pond: skimmer filter with a 2,000gph pump that flows first into a All Clear G2 filter, then into a small waterfall weir. Both the skimmer and the weir have some sponge/filter media for mechanical filtration.

What I'm thinking is to add a "Y" splitter after the All Clear G2 and direct the flow to both the bog and waterfall. As for construction of the bog, I have an ideal space that's largely unused to the right of the pond. It already has an 18" retaining wall and roughly a triangular 9'x4' area. My plan is to take a 3'x3' area and dig down for a total depth of 24" for the bog filter. I'll use 2-3" PVC in an "H" shape in the bottom and cover with smallish river rock in the bottom 4" and then the rest pea gravel. I also plan to slope the bog filter down and have a large cleanout snorkel, although I'm not sure I'll need it.

I'm still unsure if I want to have a waterfall as the output of the bog filter, or hide a PVC outlet somewhere among the rocks on the side. Or perhaps construct a short stream bed that the goldfish can swim up into. I plan to have the edge of the bog 4-6" above the pond level and overlap the bog liner down into the pond. I'm hopeful this is enough to avoid any wicking.

I'm interested to hear your ideas, advice, horror stories and whatever about bog filters. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20210510_082826.jpg
    20210510_082826.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 20210510_082837.jpg
    20210510_082837.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210510_082847.jpg
    20210510_082847.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 20210510_082923.jpg
    20210510_082923.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 123

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also plan to slope the bog filter down and have a large cleanout snorkel, although I'm not sure I'll need it.
I have no clean out, but my bog is huge. So far no need. Also I do not draw the water off the bottom of the pond there less debris getting into the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
add it before, the plants need and want dirty water to grow well.

Good point! And the G2 does add some restriction to the flow as well. So one side will go to the bog, and the other side will go to the G2 filter, and on to the waterfall. That should simplify things as well, since I can just leave the existing plumbing in place to the waterfall.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Down the road you may even be able to delete the filter! I have none except the bog , but mine is big!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Down the road you may even be able to delete the filter! I have none except the bog , but mine is big!
That's the plan! The G2 does have a UV filter which is nice in the summer to control the green water, but hopefully with a bog it will reduce or eliminate the need for that. Most of the year the UV light is off and not needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Awesome, I hope to follow suit!
I'll add; put a ball valve on each feed from your Wye as you'll want to control the flow to each per your vision/purpose. And it helps to have unions at the Wye, for each line so you can easily detach from the pump without a lot of pump twisting. Another tip; if you add an adaptor RIGHT AT YOUR PUMP discharge, that is twice the size, THEN reduce back down to the discharge size with your WYE, you'll get greater efficiency/flow.

For instance, my pump discharge is 1-1/2". I added a 1-1/2" to 3" adaptor, then a 3" wye with one leg of the wye reduced to 1-1/2" which then went to a bit of flex pvc and a union, then added a reducer 3" to 1-1/2" to the other end of the wye which then went to a bit of flex pvc, then another union.

This was told to me by a pond professional and it works a treat!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm interested to hear your ideas, advice, horror stories and whatever about bog filters. Cheers!

Just like others here, my bog is also my only filter. It works wonders. I haven't had any serious problems. My bog is 4' by 5' and only 10" deep for an 800 gallon pond. I wanted to go bigger, at least deeper, but didn't have enough liner. If I ever had to do it again, the only thing I'd change would be making it bigger purely because I enjoy it so much. Really fun seeing the wildlife that uses it as a water source, as well as the hummingbirds that come in for the native plants I use.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Another bog only ponder here - highly recommend!

Also wanted to say your pond is so pretty!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Two bogs here I can muck up my water where I can't see 6 inches into the water and by morning it's crystal clear to 6 feet deep. But I also push 12000 gph

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I muck up my water all the time, working in the bog, yanking plants. The first run of the stream in the spring brings a huge bio load to the pond, it mucks and clears right back up

Ask a Question