Ideas for DIY centipede end cap for bog filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey-o. Currently building my DIY Aquascape-style bog filter using some 12" HDPE culvert pipe (this stuff) for the centipede unit. Currently trying to find a solution for the end cap where my input piping will enter the unit. They make end caps for the stuff, but no one carries them locally and they're like $100 to order, which is about what I paid for the whole pipe!

Anyone have an idea what I could use as a substitute? If I have have to, I'll pony up the cash, but maybe there's a good DIY solution?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I only used one end cap and I used that at the bottom of the snorkel tube and I made it a foot deeper them the rest of the bog so sediment could accumulate there. Also so the pipe did not cut the rubber even though it was sitting on 8 oz fabric.
The other end of the centipede I was not worried about I took a scrap piece of rubber and made a end cap wrapping it over the end then I used zip ties one into another to make a 24 inch loop and tightened it up. The only point I saw in doing this was because I have my feed pipe to the centipede pointing at that wall so the waters push was reduced as soon as it entered the 24 inch sedimentation tube. There is nothing cheap in drain and sewer pipe. But what you won't find it some that failed due to weight if done right. The centipede will never move once you have it buried in stone. So I didn't see a point in it . Oh I should also add it runs right up to the outer most wall of tge bog there's little to no space between them. And I simply drilled a hole in the centipede and brought the 2" feed in from the top but elbowed toward the wall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Does not have to literally enter from the end in the center of the pipe. Like I said above I drilled in from the top but brought the pipe to the bottom of the centipede from there its just disbursement of flow reducing how fast it trave k s through the bog the longer more area it covers the better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD: Ah. I knew I’d get a clever solution. Not sure why I was so attached to inserting the pipe into the end. Probably because it’s the only way I’ve seen it done. I will plan to cap off the centipede end with scrap liner and then enter it from the top w/ the feed from the pump.

Ask a Question