Bog filter: pea gravel vs. aquaponic clay balls or lava rocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
I am wondering for the pea gravel bog filter, why not use aquaponic clay balls or lava rocks as they seem to be lighter and easy to put in? Any one tried that and does it work? Please forgive me if it's a silly question. Thank you.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can't speak about the clay balls but I put lava rock in a stock tank bog and had to put a liner in later. Removing lava rocks is not fun. Also it clogs quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Can't speak about the clay balls but I put lava rock in a stock tank bog and had to put a liner in later. Removing lava rocks is not fun. Also it clogs quickly.
That makes sense. Lava rocks doesn't have a smooth shape and would require a liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The advantage to pea stone is one it has smooth sides while it won't hold as much bacteria it does allow solids to get trapped break down and flush out. roots within the pea stone also only allow the roots to grow around them not into the pours or into the clay making it impossible to separate one from the other. Pea stone will fall off on its own once it dries out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
The advantage to pea stone is one it has smooth sides while it won't hold as much bacteria it does allow solids to get trapped break down and flush out. roots within the pea stone also only allow the roots to grow around them not into the pours or into the clay making it impossible to separate one from the other. Pea stone will fall off on its own once it dries out.
Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

Ask a Question