Algae bloom in container bog filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks! During last summer, I created a container bog filter, which replaced a simple but effective mechanical and biological filter that was filtering around a 1200 gal small backyard pond. For the bog filter I used a 250 gallon rubbermaid water trough which is fed by a 3", 3 into one, louvered pvc pipe contraption fed directly by a 3500gph pond pump located in the center of the pond. On top of the pipe, I covered with each wall and bottom of milk crates that i cut to lay flat over the pipe. Over that I covered w 6"-8"-10" river rock about 2 levels high. Then i covered that w 2" maybe a lil larger rocks and the remaining 10"-12" being pea gravel. I installed two waterfall weirs on the top of the container which feeds a cascading waterfall on one side and a full flowing waterfall on the other. What was my question again? Oh yeah!! Theres alot of algae on top of the bog. How do i control this? I forgot to mention i planted pennywort, calla lilies, iris, and a couple of other draping "ground cover" plants in the bog. And besides a raccoon having shredded a few of the plants, the majority are growing very well. What do i do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Can you lower the water level in the bog a bit? I’m thinking if water isn’t standing on the surface, the algae won’t grow. My water level is about 2” below the surface.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you lower the water level in the bog a bit? I’m thinking if water isn’t standing on the surface, the algae won’t grow. My water level is about 2” below the surface.
Unfortunately, I cant lower the water level....I can, however...add more pea gravel ....which will cover all the freestanding water,..... eliminating the algae!! Mgessert, you are GENIUS!! GREAT IDEA!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Stop just one minute... the first question you want to ask yourself is WHY is there so much algae? Algae growth is directly related to nutrient load in the water. When you have excess nutrients (too many fish, too much feeding, too much organic waste in the water) and the preferred plants can't consume it all, Nature comes to the rescue and provides algae. You want to REDUCE the algae by REDUCING what's feeding the algae. Or you accept that the algae is performing a useful role in your pond and leave it alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree with @Lisak1.
If this is an ongoing problem you'll need to find the root cause.

I have a question.
Is the algae there all the time or is it just a few weeks or even a month during Spring "wake up"?
Even with great filtration you might get algae in the Spring until all the beneficial bacteria reemerge and your plants start to wake up or mature.

If this is a constant problem, maybe you need more plants both in the bog and in the pond. To me, you cannot have too many plants.

You might also have too much of a fish load creating a lot of fish waste which algae thrive on.
How many gallons does your pond hold? How many fish do you have? What type? How large are they?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay Lisa and poconojoe, youre absolutely correct. And I was hoping this wasnt the cause but it is........
Okay, so the bog filter sits underneath a tangerine tree. But unfortunately, There was no other area to place the bog filter. Anyways, although i constantly remove the fallen fruit from the bog, i just couldnt get them all as I have found decomposing fruit in the bog. And I guess even a little can be alot when it comes to feeding algae. The tree has stopped producing tangerines recently so we-ll see if theres a difference in algae growth minus the falling fruit. Thanks guys

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I cant lower the water level....I can, however...add more pea gravel ....which will cover all the freestanding water,..... eliminating the algae!! Mgessert, you are GENIUS!! GREAT IDEA!!
If this is a new build which i believe it is, your bog is still growing and the Algae we all don't enjoy looking at is actually helping your pond. THE ALGAE IS ABSORBING EXTRA NUTRIENTS IF YOU STOP IT FROM GROWING IN THE BOG IT'S GOING TO GROW SOMEWHERE the nutrients are still there . but for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. That will probably mean algae growth where you want it the least.
the hardest part to bog filters is they can take up to two years to truly mature. We try to fix issues that are a lessor evil . but with our desire for perfection we inadvertently destroy what maybe helping at the time. Hair algae will one day " if the pond is set up well" cut way back if not disappear all together.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If this is a new build which i believe it is, your bog is still growing and the Algae we all don't enjoy looking at is actually helping your pond. THE ALGAE IS ABSORBING EXTRA NUTRIENTS IF YOU STOP IT FROM GROWING IN THE BOG IT'S GOING TO GROW SOMEWHERE the nutrients are still there . but for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. That will probably mean algae growth where you want it the least.
the hardest part to bog filters is they can take up to two years to truly mature. We try to fix issues that are a lessor evil . but with our desire for perfection we inadvertently destroy what maybe helping at the time. Hair algae will one day " if the pond is set up well" cut way back if not disappear all together.
Makes sense. Thank you

Ask a Question