Bog filter setup

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading about bog filters and decided to try it out since my last filter setup got worn out.
I have a pond roughly 9'x7'x30" and a connected section in the back 3'x7'x10" that I intend to use as a pond for my 2 ducks. My first question will a bog filter be sufficient at cleaning up after the ducks?
Next question is sizing of the bog and pump. I should have around 1570 gallons and was thinking of making my bog 6'x4'x2' giving me 360 gallon bog without gravel added. Then would be the pump. Reading around on this forum people have been saying to have about a 10 second dwell time in the filter and posted some math to figure it out if I mathed correctly I should need a 1500 GPH pump to accommodate my bog?
Does all this sound accurate or do I need to make adjustment somewhere?
Once everything is measured correctly and set up are there any recommendations of what plants and how many I should add?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My initial response it no - a bog filter will struggle with ducks. It will help, but unless it's seriously oversized it's going to be a constant issue. Just my opinion though - others may differ.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bog filter be sufficient at cleaning up after the ducks?
Imo . Will it kep ahead of the duck poop? . Yes if it is big enough. But that will have to be a good sized bog.

Again imo about 50 % of the size of the pond . The smaller the pond the higher that percentage will have to go.

In time the water will start to brown out and become turbid.

A bead filter with water changes would be my suggestion and the pond to be a liner only and the deep end be like a funnel and have a main drain or pump at this location.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hello liz and frog.gif
and welcome @MrBeanz

Ask a Question