Daphnia in my bog filter

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Hi All

Today, after 8 months, I started vacuuming/cleaning the bog filter. I was waiting for a stable cycle before doing any activity which could jeopardize it.
Well, I've found lots of DAPHNIA in the filter, swimming on the surface most likely because I was moving (revolving) the gravel with the vacuum. Picture of a sample attached.
My question: what to do in this case?
Just leave it to grow and start moving into the main pond through the overflow?
Breed it apart?

Is it so good for the fish as it can be seen in many videos?

Thanks as usual for your kind comments

Attachments

• daphnia filter.JPG
    daphnia filter.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Daphnia is a great food source as well as a bio agent devouring micro nutrients count your luck stars you have them. If you want to lessen seeing them get a fish like a Non pregnant blue gill or sun fish or even some minnows.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Great live food as you have read, part of a healthy ecosystem. I would move some to the main pond occasionally for food, you have your own naturally established daphnia culture.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Send me some I have thought about throwing in a culture. Those blood worms to the bog and cocapods.

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Send me some I have thought about throwing in a culture. Those blood worms to the bog and cocapods.
Hi GBBUDD
Very glad to hear so good about these little beneficial guys.
Who knows how much I did suck out of the filter with the vacuum :sick: before I realise about them, fortunately I was watching for parasites in general and quit "on time".
I will put the sample I took for reconfirmation in filter water with "dirt rests" taken off the vacuum head and try to start a culture, just in case. See pictures.

Attachments

• vacuum head clean.JPG
    vacuum head clean.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 9
  • vacuum head detail.JPG
    vacuum head detail.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 9
  • vacuum head dirty.JPG
    vacuum head dirty.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 9
  • vacuum rest.JPG
    vacuum rest.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 8
  • vacuum rests for daphnia.JPG
    vacuum rests for daphnia.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
Peru
Great live food as you have read, part of a healthy ecosystem. I would move some to the main pond occasionally for food, you have your own naturally established daphnia culture.
Hi JRS
Thanks for the recommendations! I will keep an eye on the filter for a while and reconfirm its presence.
I replenish water from a natural stream at the border of the property and think that could be the only way these good guys made it into the pond. that's also why I was watching for parasites in general...and look there :)
As commented above, pls see the pictures. I am about to start an own culture.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Parasite on the whole are microscopic though there are all kinds of microbes and plankton like creatures swimming around. I use to sit at my planted tank at night and shine a small flash light into the top of the tank and be amazed at the night life that comes out. I should add be it the salt tank or the planted the salt was crazy.

Ask a Question