Bog filter types and sizes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I used to, go out with my net and scoop, dump in on a screen to save the critters, put muck in bucket. After only getting 1/2 of a home depot bucket worth a few years in a row I quit doing that.

Have not cleaned the bottom in a few years. When I walk in the pond, it is mainly on dropped pea gravel, dumped over kitty litter and snails. Oh and a few rocks that the deer etc tend to knock in.

I have a good aerator I move around now and then it stirs things up for the bog to filter.
My pond is going to be about 5 feet deep, not sure how I can get to the bottom as I am keeping the sides steep, to reduce unwanted raccoons and herons away.n This also means that I am limited to having lilies and lotus in the pond, which I love.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My pond is going to be about 5 feet deep, not sure how I can get to the bottom as I am keeping the sides steep, to reduce unwanted raccoons and herons away.n This also means that I am limited to having lilies and lotus in the pond, which I love.
I scoop out the bottom now and then, mostly in the early Spring and in the late Fall. I use the long telescoping pole from my pool. I have two bag type pool nets, one for the pond and one for the pool. Same as addy, I dump the debris from the bottom, sift through it for critters and plants. In the past I have rescued tiny fry and quite a few trapdoor snails.

I gave up on lillies, the koi eat the stalks. But if you are concerned about depth and you really want them, you could always strap their pot to an upside down milk crate to raise them up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I planned on putting one in, did not put one in. Never have had a issue where I would have needed it in the past 9 years.

I do not draw my water for the bog from the bottom of the pond which probably helps with a debris build up in the pipes. My in put is about a foot from the bottom of the pond. I do have a external pump with a leaf basket before it. Over the summer I never need to empty it. So mainly large debris free water enters the bog.
My two cents is i believe a lot of addys success is that her bog is deep and over sized That the roots can not get to her perforated pipe thus allowing a constant flow/ Flow is the wrong word as we don't want water flow at the bottom of the bog we just want to have the water be forced where Even pressure across the bog. and only the pressure of more water coming into that space as it displaces the water that has been there. Its the cup of chocolate milk . Leave it sitting long enough and it will settle and separate into layers. same principle. if the cuts or drilled holes begin to clog they will add water pressure / flow at that spot not allowing the water to settle out. just my two scene

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Steep sides of 5 feet are not needed as much as 2.5 feet or more at the shallow area I f you never water a fishing bird to bother your fish have at least a 2' steep bank down to the waters edge. and give the birds no where to perch on those steep sides. Take away any possibility of a flight path to and from your pond. look at you tube sacramento koi club 10 things to know

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Steep sides of 5 feet are not needed as much as 2.5 feet or more at the shallow area I f you never water a fishing bird to bother your fish have at least a 2' steep bank down to the waters edge. and give the birds no where to perch on those steep sides. Take away any possibility of a flight path to and from your pond. look at you tube sacramento koi club 10 things to know
@GBBUDD Sadly, I had some bad advice, and I dug it too steep, without the steps/ledges. Not sure what to do about it now.
I did check out the Youtube...thanks for letting me know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Mitch. I have my lilies sitting in planters tied to the top of egg crates with plastic ties connecting them. It works out well and gets my lilies to a perfect height off the bottom. I recently saw online you can buy plastic boxes that have open webbing that are made specifically for pond use that can take heavy loads like waterfalls etc and these are easily stackable.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That the roots can not get to her perforated pipe thus allowing a constant flow
I have never seen a deep root mass once I removed a sedge that I decided I did not like. It had deep roots but only down around 10 inches. Everything else is shallow surface roots. Maybe 5ish inches down in the pea gravel. I yank enough to know they are pretty easy to remove. The yellow flag iris is the only hard plant to remove, mainly due to the thickness of the tubers you need to cut to yank out.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My two cents is i believe a lot of addys success is that her bog is deep and over sized That the roots can not get to her perforated pipe thus allowing a constant flow/ Flow is the wrong word as we don't want water flow at the bottom of the bog we just want to have the water be forced where Even pressure across the bog. and only the pressure of more water coming into that space as it displaces the water that has been there. Its the cup of chocolate milk . Leave it sitting long enough and it will settle and separate into layers. same principle. if the cuts or drilled holes begin to clog they will add water pressure / flow at that spot not allowing the water to settle out. just my two scene
Great explanation. With Aquablox, that is what they are asking for as well, 3 feet of stone/gravel.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have never seen a deep root mass once I removed a sedge that I decided I did not like. It had deep roots but only down around 10 inches. Everything else is shallow surface roots. Maybe 5ish inches down in the pea gravel. I yank enough to know they are pretty easy to remove. The yellow flag iris is the only hard plant to remove, mainly due to the thickness of the tubers you need to cut to yank out.
All this is beginning to makes sense to me, what you are saying and what @GBBUDD mentioned above. I think, you have a pretty solid system.

Ask a Question