bog garden

Reaction score
I came up with another hairbrained idea!! I'm thinking of digging out an area next to the pond so that I can put a kiddie pool in the hole & flip the pond liner over the top, I dont think they're that deep . I'm wanting to just fill it with pea gravel & plants.Would I nee:regular_ an additional pump?? My pond is (i think) 2500 gal with a 4200 gal pump going thru a bio & out the waterfall.Also on the other end of the pond is a cheap submergible pump going thru a uv :::

Reaction score
I came up with another hairbrained idea!! I'm thinking of digging out an area next to the pond so that I can put a kiddie pool in the hole & flip the pond liner over the top, I dont think they're that deep . I'm wanting to just fill it with pea gravel & plants.Would I nee:regular_ an additional pump?? My pond is (i think) 2500 gal with a 4200 gal pump going thru a bio & out the waterfall.Also on the other end of the pond is a cheap submergible pump going thru a uv :::

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
farmgirl said:

Our pond filter is just going to be the bog, we are running it off the main pump. The ones that know the pumps better can answer that question for you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
farmgirl said:

Our pond filter is just going to be the bog, we are running it off the main pump. The ones that know the pumps better can answer that question for you.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You can divert a little water from your main pump through the bog
Or send your UV water through it

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You can divert a little water from your main pump through the bog
Or send your UV water through it

Reaction score
Thanx for the tip,, Thats exactly what I'll do(as soon as I get the energy to get on it!!
wonder if I can leave the plants in there all winter..They are marked for zone 5 but would'nt that be a bit harsh on them being in plastic??

Reaction score
Thanx for the tip,, Thats exactly what I'll do(as soon as I get the energy to get on it!!
wonder if I can leave the plants in there all winter..They are marked for zone 5 but would'nt that be a bit harsh on them being in plastic??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm in zone 5, I have Iris's and Pickerel Rush in mine. I leave my pumps run all winter. I've never had any problem with mine coming back in the Spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm in zone 5, I have Iris's and Pickerel Rush in mine. I leave my pumps run all winter. I've never had any problem with mine coming back in the Spring.

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. You should only have about 4 inches of water or so for most bog plants. I think your pump will be fine. you don't want water to be rushing through. I'm zone 5 like Sunshine and I shut down my water pump for the winter. I have mini cattails, corkscrew, marsh marigolds and other plants and they have come back every year no problem. this year started my forth year and I had to do some major thinning out. So hey, if you plant something and it doesn't come back the next year, try something else. I think sometimes that's half the fun. I think I enjoy the plants in and around the pond as much or more than the fish. HEY!!! I just noticed we're neighbor's. You can stop by and check out my pond if you like.

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. You should only have about 4 inches of water or so for most bog plants. I think your pump will be fine. you don't want water to be rushing through. I'm zone 5 like Sunshine and I shut down my water pump for the winter. I have mini cattails, corkscrew, marsh marigolds and other plants and they have come back every year no problem. this year started my forth year and I had to do some major thinning out. So hey, if you plant something and it doesn't come back the next year, try something else. I think sometimes that's half the fun. I think I enjoy the plants in and around the pond as much or more than the fish. HEY!!! I just noticed we're neighbor's. You can stop by and check out my pond if you like.

Ask a Question