Raised fish pond with a gravel bog garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi some advice please, I want to build a part raised part sunk garden fish pond and thinking of having a planted gravel bog garden for the filter. The pond will be approximately 10ft x 7ft x 3ft deep I want to build a planted gravel filter above the pond say 10 inch above on the back edge overhanging the pond by 10 inch (lights underneath)the bog garden will be 9ftx 2ft 6" wide by 14" deep this would then have two outlets to cascade (waterfall) into the pond, the pon will have a shelf around three sides for some plants and I would like 2 water Lilleys if possible. Would this system cause any issues and how often would the do need cleaning , im keeping shabumkin and gold fish, thanks in advance john

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Don't have a bog but I guess it would depend on how much you fed the fish and what plants you have in the bog .I have seen posts on here that talk about thinning out plants and cleaning them .Hope someone can give you more info .Remember those type fish breed a lot

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a partially raised pond with a bog above it. Don't know how you are planning on the overhang. My pond is 11'x13' and bog is 2'x11'x18"deep. It has one outflow to a secondary pond area 2x11x2 and then flows back to the pond. I have koi so have the bog is heavily planted in addition to other filtration. Do some research on this forum as well as other sites regarding building a bog .Addy has a thread on here showing how she did hers. It is good to set up plumbing to occasionally flush out your bog depending on the size. I flush mine out about every 2 years.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is huge, I have never yet cleaned it. So far no issues and it keeps the pond in great shape.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think it should be fine. I have mine this is going to be a the 2nd winter.

The only problem with the bog is that it is only partial mechanical filtration. Meaning, a lot of fish poop can still float down back to your pond. It just float up through all the gravel ;) Unless you have a deep bog like Addy, mine is about 1.5 ft. you might want to have separate mechanical filtration or a way to do it if you see it as a problem.

I have a valve in the middle of the pipe to the bog, so when I see a lot of build up I just open that valve and let a lot of water out (and also stir up lots of poop in the pond to go through the pump). That's also my way of doing water change :)

And - GLUE the pipe! I didn't glue mine (the ones in the bog) and I suspect that one came lose (even under all those gravel!) because if I step on that spot, my foot will sink pretty low and the water come out from there a lot more than other places. Its not a big problem, but I wish I did...

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish I had thought to glue mine as well. I have had my cleanout pipes come loose and had to dig down to get them back in place. Next time!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My dear hubby glued ours, and when he glues they stay together!

Ask a Question