Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just kidding you won't even find aspirin in my system

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I try to think which prospective (view) of the bog is most common.
Then I try to put the taller plants toward the back and shorter ones in front. But, also try to mix things up a bit so it doesn't look too uniformed.
I also think about color and try mixing that up the best I can.
You also have to think about the sun's path in relation to your pond. Well, it's actually your pond's path. The sun doesn't move, but you know what I mean!

I have found that anything I put in there (so far) thrives.

Also keep in mind that when planting them, shake as much soil off of the roots as you possibly can. They don't need soil and you don't want to clog up your bog with clumps of soil all over the place. Think about how much soil might accumulate over the many years of planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Below are pics of my new pond and bog. Its in the front yard and already gets a lot of attention...lol. Rather than just throwing a bunch of bog plants in there, I am trying to think it through and come up with a design that still looks random but stands out. I dont have a lot of knowlege around bog plants, their size, spread, when they flower etc.

Bog is aprox 11'x6'

I already have some Pickerel Rush on order (5) that I wanted to incoporate. But, again being new to bog plants, I dont know where I should place it and if 5 is even enough. I found some Siberian Iris locally that they are practically giving away that I could easily get. Other than that, I have some dwarf horestail and a few marsh ferns on order that I was going to place between the rocks around the pond edges. Open to any ideas or suggestions. View attachment 150454View attachment 150455
Your pond and bog look awesome!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Then I try to put the taller plants toward the back and shorter ones in front. But, also try to mix things up a bit so it doesn't look too uniformed.
You also have to think about the sun's path in relation to your pond. Well, it's actually your pond's path. The sun doesn't move, but you know what I mean!

Also keep in mind that when planting them, shake as much soil off of the roots as you possibly can. They don't need soil and you don't want to clog up your bog with clumps of soil all over the place. Think about how much soil might accumulate over the many years of planting.
I had mine all neatly planted tall short mix of plants, 11 years later the strong have survived. No rhyme or rhythm to the planting some chose the right side to take over some the left side. Comingled among are others.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm like @addy1 - started out all neat and tidy and then BOOM. Bog does what bog wants! It's fun to try new things every year, so I do add annuals like cannas and impatiens so I can switch up colors and they die back so I don't have to worry about controlling them.

Right now my bog is a watercress sanctuary - it's been so cold that it's the only plant that was growing. Now we've had three days near 90 so things are poppin'!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

I don't recomend the shaking for dirt removal . Though it wont kill the plant unlessvyour a mad dogg about it. ..
I fill up the the planting pot with water get it good and soaked then using the hose continue to lightly wash off the dirt as far as I know every plant has microscopic hairs on the roots they are what grabs the nutrients. The gentler you are the quicker the plants will acclimate and grow in the bog.

Abby

Nature & zen lover, Aquatic plant sales
Reaction score
Central Texas… home of the 10 month summer! ;)
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought for a moment there we had an other middle Eastern visitor from my phone it looked like Abby had a heck of a view of the piramids
Serious pyramid vibes this morning with the sunrise! lol
5A100A66-EC9E-4246-9B18-F4B57C5F7FE1.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't recomend the shaking for dirt removal . Though it wont kill the plant unlessvyour a mad dogg about it. ..
I fill up the the planting pot with water get it good and soaked then using the hose continue to lightly wash off the dirt as far as I know every plant has microscopic hairs on the roots they are what grabs the nutrients. The gentler you are the quicker the plants will acclimate and grow in the bog.
That's a great idea!
I will use this method for now on!
It will be less stressful for the roots.

Ask a Question