Bog Planting Suggestions?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Below are pics of my new pond and bog. Its in the front yard and already gets a lot of attention...lol. Rather than just throwing a bunch of bog plants in there, I am trying to think it through and come up with a design that still looks random but stands out. I dont have a lot of knowlege around bog plants, their size, spread, when they flower etc.

Bog is aprox 11'x6'

I already have some Pickerel Rush on order (5) that I wanted to incoporate. But, again being new to bog plants, I dont know where I should place it and if 5 is even enough. I found some Siberian Iris locally that they are practically giving away that I could easily get. Other than that, I have some dwarf horestail and a few marsh ferns on order that I was going to place between the rocks around the pond edges. Open to any ideas or suggestions.
822659A6-2150-49D6-A14D-BE3D642B80AE.jpeg
AED2AA74-A24C-4A16-A193-9C7E6DE63411.jpeg

Last edited:

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I like your plan so far! If you are okay with an annual, something like a dwarf Egyptian papyrus would look stunning and give some more height.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We love our bog… taro, cannas, cattails, and Pennywort
Oh, wow! That is really grown in. I am a little nervous to introduce cattails but like the taro and canna idea. Is pennywort plant in the foreground of the picture?

Abby

Nature & zen lover, Aquatic plant sales
Reaction score
Central Texas… home of the 10 month summer! ;)
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, wow! That is really grown in. I am a little nervous to introduce cattails but like the taro and canna idea. Is pennywort plant in the foreground of the picture?
It was completely level just a few months ago in the winter.. this is all new growth since spring! The pennywort lines the waterfall and fills the base of the bog as undergrowth under the larger foliage. The pennywort is the only thing that stays strong in winter… everything else dies back and comes back strong in the spring.

Abby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It was completely level just a few months ago in the winter.. this is all new growth since spring! The pennywort lines the waterfall and fills the base of the bog as undergrowth under the larger foliage. The pennywort is the only thing that stays strong in winter… everything else dies back and comes back strong in the spring.
If you click on the pic it’s much clearer and easier to see detail. It looks blurry otherwise

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You cant pay me to put cat tails or money wart in my yard both way to aggressive

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Your pond is looking great! Consider the standard planting guidelines of "taller in the middle/ back and shorter in the front" placement, and keep foliage texture and color in mind. You can move plants around fairly easily if you need to. I like @TheFishGuy suggestion of some annuals - ornamental sweet potato, green and purple, have done a nice job for me. For perennials, I like my black taro and "soft rush" (which has not been aggressive in my bog), iris and cardinal flower. As the perennials grow in, you won't have to replace the annuals, but I'd leave space for an annual canna lily. On the outside perimeter of both bog and pond, I'd suggest some low height evergreen perennials (periwinkle/ vinca minor, creeping phlox) to soften the transition from turf to pond/ rock. No matter how carefully the turf is mowed, and regardless of whether you fertilize/ weedNfeed, you won't want any grass clippings added to pond or bog. I can see a tree or two on the perimeter for some shade ...
It's going to be even more beautiful when you've got plants in! Enjoy.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your pond is looking great! Consider the standard planting guidelines of "taller in the middle/ back and shorter in the front" placement, and keep foliage texture and color in mind. You can move plants around fairly easily if you need to. I like @TheFishGuy suggestion of some annuals - ornamental sweet potato, green and purple, have done a nice job for me. For perennials, I like my black taro and "soft rush" (which has not been aggressive in my bog), iris and cardinal flower. As the perennials grow in, you won't have to replace the annuals, but I'd leave space for an annual canna lily. On the outside perimeter of both bog and pond, I'd suggest some low height evergreen perennials (periwinkle/ vinca minor, creeping phlox) to soften the transition from turf to pond/ rock. No matter how carefully the turf is mowed, and regardless of whether you fertilize/ weedNfeed, you won't want any grass clippings added to pond or bog. I can see a tree or two on the perimeter for some shade ...
Great suggestions. I do have some Canna bulbs that I plant around my pool. They are the purplish leave variety and are somewhat overused in my area, but, I think they would look great as the backdrop for the bog with perrenial types in front.

Abby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestions… we have cannas coming up behind the taro… we absolutely love them! Absolutely agreed about softening the transition… last year morning glory more than filled that role but of course died off in the winter. We planted periwinkle and creeping Jenny but they haven’t taken off yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought for a moment there we had an other middle Eastern visitor from my phone it looked like Abby had a heck of a view of the piramids

Ask a Question