Bringing my KOI in

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, was wondering if anybody would happen to know if I can bring my KOI in the house and keep them in a pool over the winter? I have a Bestway H20go 102" x 67" x 24" pool, i did call them and they said there were no chemicals in it. Would like to know if anybody else has done this before? There was a guy that use to live by me and he kept KOI in a pool in his basement. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It is a ProEco EZ-4000 Pressurized Pond Filter with UV light and a 1000 GPH pump

Ok, I'm assuming that's what you have outside currently and you'll just bring it inside as well? If so there's no reason to think the indoor pond will suffer compared to how things have been going outside.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, I'm assuming that's what you have outside currently and you'll just bring it inside as well? If so there's no reason to think the indoor pond will suffer compared to how things have been going outside.
Yes, the only difference is I'm putting them in a pool.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true I use a dehumidifier in my basement .Don't need a big expensive one .But in a garage that is not sealed tight you may not need one .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wish I could bring mine in, but I'd have to empty the whole pond just to catch them and then I'm not even sure they would do better in my basement than outside

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll play devil's advocate here and ask WHY bring them in? It's certainly possible, results may be good - but what's the motivation for doing so?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have seen outdoor pools used as ponds so I don't know why you can't do it indoors as well. One thing to keep in mind is possibly having to deal with new pond syndrome for your indoor pool. it probably makes sense to bring in just one or two fish at first until the beneficial bacteria build up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen outdoor pools used as ponds so I don't know why you can't do it indoors as well. One thing to keep in mind is possibly having to deal with new pond syndrome for your indoor pool. it probably makes sense to bring in just one or two fish at first until the beneficial bacteria build up.
I basically will be doing a 1/2 water change, filling the pool with 1/2 pond water & 1/2 fresh water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll play devil's advocate here and ask WHY bring them in? It's certainly possible, results may be good - but what's the motivation for doing so?
I have done it in the past and just wanted to try it again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have done it in the past and just wanted to try it again.

I was just curious. Sometimes people do it out of a concern that their fish will suffer in the cold. Others just enjoy watching their fish all winter.

So if you've done it successfully in the past, why are you questioning whether you can do it again? Is it the type of container you're using that you're wondering about?

Ask a Question