Bringing the kids in for the Winter

Reaction score
Starting this last Friday I started the slow task of closing down the small pond and moving the baby Koi inside. Most are not quite big enough for me to feel safe in the big pond. They do not have the size and fat built up quite yet. So I did a little photographing of the smallest ones. The bigger ones are in the outside ponds and most will stay out there. So I thought I would share my setups.

Below are the indoor setups. This is in my eBay shipping room at my house. The lights are 48" shop lights. The lamps are a full Spectrum lights rated at CRI 94 and KR 8500. I keep them on from about 7:30 AM-7:30 PM. The lamps and fixtures are all T8 for high energy efficiency. The lights are hanging from homemade rolling stands with chains. This allows us to adjust the height of the lights as we need.

The tanks are the same 110 gallon tanks from outside. Filtration is through an assorted setup of larger capacity canister filters from Penn Plax or Marineland. There is also a large airstone in each to subsidize the oxygen levels.

Of course the floor has been supported with 16K LB floor jacks just as a precaution for any sagging.

There were 4 Koi that decided to jump in the first 36 hours. One jumped twice and is now in a regular fish tank with a lid. 2 others jumped in the middle of the night and did not make it. A 4th jumped late yesterday and as of this morning had not tried to escape again. It was kind of weird though. All of them were darker colors and they had been in the same tanks for months. Even the same plants. But for some reason they felt compelled to jump.

So enjoy the pics and if you have any questions, let me know. I would say of the 200 Koi left from the spawns this year, 1/3 are Doitsu/German scale/Scaleless, 15%-20% Butterfly fin, 40% we categorized as "Dark" and 60% "Mixed" or "Light" coloring. Most are 2"-4". A few smaller ones.

Attachments

• Dark1a.JPG
    Dark1a.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 434
  • Dark2a.JPG
    Dark2a.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 425
  • Light1a.JPG
    Light1a.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 462
  • Light2a.JPG
    Light2a.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 418
  • Mixed1a.JPG
    Mixed1a.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 429
Reaction score
And the last of the pics.

Attachments

• Mixed2a.JPG
    Mixed2a.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 405
  • Setup1a.JPG
    Setup1a.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 442
  • Setup2a.JPG
    Setup2a.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 420
  • Setup3a.JPG
    Setup3a.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 430
Reaction score
I will get some pictures posted of some of the parents later today. I will not have to worry about a humidifier this winter. There is definitely enough water vapor in ths house now. LOL
Remember on the plants that they have only been inside for 2 days. So of course they look very nice right now. I will see in a few weeks how they look then. Definitely no CO2 setup. But I am hoping with the right mix of lighting and fish fertilizer they will do well.
And they are definitely going to be safe for the winter. Getting fed twice a day. Lots of lighting. Constant 65 degree temps. Lots of filtration. Plants and algae to eat on. Cats to play with.
I spent 2 hours doing eBay work on the opposite side of the room. The running water kind of echos in the room. As soon as I started to relax to the sound I felt like I had to run to the bathroom. LOL

Reaction score
Got to do a couple posts of some of the parents. This was a mass spawn and not all the parents are pictured. But here are the main suspects.

Attachments

• Bandit.JPG
    Bandit.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 394
  • Blackie.JPG
    Blackie.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 409
  • Copper.JPG
    Copper.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 380
  • Ghost.JPG
    Ghost.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 373
Reaction score
And some of the other members of the herd.

Attachments

• M&M.JPG
    M&M.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 378
  • Skeletor.JPG
    Skeletor.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 394
  • Spot.JPG
    Spot.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 374
  • Tiger.JPG
    Tiger.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 392
Reaction score
I especially like the kids that are grey/white with black dots right now. And the one spotted butterfly has the potential to be gorgeous. It's just a wait and see game to how much of the "sumi" comes through. Many of the butterfly kids are blue. I know where that DNA came from. I love the 2 yellow headed ones also. They definitely have some DNA from Skeletor. She has a lot of pale yellow on her sides and on her head.
but thats the fun part right now. Watching them grow and change colors. I have photos from about every month.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I can see why the fry look so good. You have a nice herd of Koi there. Wish I had a few of those in my breeding stock.

Reaction score
Caught one of the cats fishing last night. She's not smart enough to know how to fish very well or what to do if she caught something. I think I am more worried about her falling in the water and not being able to get out. So they are now banned from the room except for the 4 1/2 hours a night when I am awake and at home.

Had another jumper the night before last. It amazes me a 2" fish can jump 12" up and out. At least it is the darker fish jumping out. I have a few too many of them any way. Added a couple more plants and re-arranged some others. No suicides last night...

Reaction score
Just browsing the site Randy and wondered if you thought about making something to put over the tops so they don't jump out? Thinking something like Cool Ponds has on the top of their tanks--pvc pipe basically with netting on top attached with maybe some of those black cable ties? Just a thought.

Ask a Question