Brown algae? Identification help and what to do

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
my first thought is that it's dirt settlement. The pond liner will be slimy, that's normal. My pond has lots of clay settled and covered in slime :) If you dont like that you can vacuum it out. but the liner will get cover over time anyway.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I'd start there. Especially since you don't know what they are planted in. I would pull the plants, dump the muck and re-pot using kitty litter and some osmocote. I am including the link on planting in either kitty litter or pea gravel here...
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/pea-gravel-versus-kitty-litter.15791/
I do know some people use dirt to plant in their pond, I don't have any experience with it but if you're not even sure it's dirt, I'd take it out

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to call the place and ask. All their plants are in this stuff and of course they store them submerged water.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That works, I agree with Meyer though, I think you just have dirt and dust and sediment stirred up from recently filling the pond and then potting plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i wouldnt worry about the mud that the plant came in, really. some mud just stinky and if you have accumulate debris, it's just how it is. I did plant a few things with smelly mud and it's fine, didnt kill my fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pond mud does stink. But that doesn't make it bad. In fact, once you've played around in it for a while you don't even think of it as stink anymore... just pond mud! When I repot any of my water plants, the uninitiated head for the hills... or at least upwind!

Ask a Question