Pea gravel versus Kitty Litter

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What's the consensus on using kitty litter to plant plants in the pond versus pea gravel? I would think that the pea gravel would allow more water exchange than the kitty litter but I'm just curious. I have potted plants in the pond in kitty litter and bog plants in pea gravel.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Make sure that the kitty litter you use doesn't have any de-oderizers in it. Make sure that it doesn't float. Catfish will pee in it, and then you'll have to scoop.

When in doubt, use pea gravel. Rinse it first.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The jury is still out for me. I switched over to kitty litter for my lilies this year. At first I had trouble with the plants just floating to the top - the kitty litter wasn't getting solid in the water like I thought it would. It stayed softer than I thought it would. Previously I planted in clay mix directly from my garden - good old midwestern clay. The lilies grew great, but the downside was how heavy the pots would get - pulling them up from the bottom was a real hassle. I would think pea gravel would be heavy, too. So we'll see. It wasn't a great year for lilies anyway - too slow to warm up.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lilies love the kitty litter. I floated some bare root this year, yuck growth. Had some in pea gravel they did sort of ok, they seem to do best with kitty litter (mine at least) the litter firms up once they start growing roots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My lilies love the kitty litter. I floated some bare root this year, yuck growth. Had some in pea gravel they did sort of ok, they seem to do best with kitty litter (mine at least) the litter firms up once they start growing roots.

That's what I'm hoping for. I definitely prefer working with the kitty litter. It's lightweight, cheap, easy to find almost anywhere (try the dollar store - big bags for under $4) and good for both the plants and the water. Early in the season I found I couldn't tug on my pads to pull the spent ones out as it would dislodge the entire plant from the pot. The last time I groomed lilies they seemed to be firmly rooted in the pots, so I'm guessing things have firmed up.

I did a couple bare rooted this year - they grew, they bloomed, but nothing spectacular. I'll reserve judgement for another year on that experiment - hoping we get more "normal" temps next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've used pea gravel for years just because I like the look of the gravel in the water. Very colorful. Never had any problems with the fish uprooting them. This year, that was all I did was replant them. I plant them, pretty soon they would be floating. UGH !! Maybe I should try the kitty litter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I did the gravel w/my lilies for awhile and hated it when it was time to divide. Heavy hauling the pots out and a mess trying to get the roots out of it. I liked the kitty litter best. Right now they are on trial barerooted and did not do well at all this Summer. I might go back to the kitty litter next year but might try one more year to see if they perk up barefoot.

And yes the pads come up through the gravel but you don't bury the whole tuber under any media that you use. Always leave top of tuber above the media.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@j.w If I don't bury the whole tuber, they will float for sure. Just the fish swimming through the stems will pull them out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@j.w If I don't bury the whole tuber, they will float for sure. Just the fish swimming through the stems will pull them out.
My floaters get a rock on top of them until they settle in. I prefer kitty litter, when dividing them after years of not, I just use a garden hose to wash away any kitty litter that remains out into the garden. It seems the litter slowly disappears, some of my big lilies have nothing but roots in the pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@addy1 Mine got like that after a couple of years of not dividing them. Pure roots and no gravel. I think I'll try the litter next spring. I noticed a floater today. Too close to winter for me to be repotting lilies. I'll put a rock on them this time. All the lilies I got from you only the yellow one bloomed once, it was too cool and wet this summer. Hope next summer will be nice and dry and hot !!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine took most of the summer to get going, very slow this year. And I cut them back a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Guess I have to wait til next year to see the beautiful colors. I was so excited to get them, they all sent up pads, but no blooms. Darn weather !!!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some that did that too, nice pads no blooms, others did great blooms. Some barely grew some grew great. These are lilies that have done beautifully for years, so it had to be the weather.

Ask a Question