Brown Pond Vent

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I haven't cleaned my filter yet, Dr. Case. It's only been in about a week and a half. It has a little red thing that pops up when it needs to be cleaned. So far it hasn't. INstructions say between 1 and 3 weeks to clean it. I'll open t tomorrow and check, just to be sure it's not full.

Noticed a HIGH amount of string algae in the last few days. Covering everything from lily stems to hyacinth roots to all rocks etc. What to do?? Why is it there? Some thing I need to correct or just common? Pond has regressed to murky brown, not clear.

Meyer Jordan, Not sure of source water pH. I may have culinary or may have secondary water feeding the pond. I will need to call my landscaper to ask, but I suspect it is connected to the sprinkler system, which is secondary (lake, in my case) water.

Is it pointless to get more plants this late in the season? Will they die or will they carry on for a few months yet? (Climate zone 7 I think)

Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Interesting point that your water source may be lake water.

I have koi, so having submerged plants is difficult. What worked for me this summer was increased oxygen ( aerators ) and increased biological filtration. I also run a UV. String algae is a good thing! I'd leave it alone, unless it overtakes the pond. It will add O2 in the day and help filter the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The string algae is definitely overtaking the pond. The whole thing is covered, the lilies' stems are covered, the hyacinth roots are covered, every rock is covered, and the water has become murky lately, which is either the sting algae, or it almost looks like the brown algae is congregating on the string algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No. Not definitely. I'm not even 100% sure it's the secondary water. But I suspect it is. I was told by someone that our secondary water comes from the lake, but I'd have to research that too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you posted a picture of your pond? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Is there any shade or is pond in full sunlight?

Ask a Question