brown water

Reaction score
hey everyone,
my pond was clear a few days ago but when i added the new plants the water started to be brown i think because of the sand and i cant see the fish,what should i do to clean it?
(already did a couple of backflushes)
what should i do?
IMG_4386.JPG
IMG_4388.JPG

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Wait for it to settle. Shouldn't take more than a few days.

Reaction score
Try adding some quilt batting to your filter to help filter out the really fine stuff. One of the members here suggested that to me and its helped me greatly.

This has happened to me on occasion as well. Add the quilt batting and give it a few days.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
yes but ow do i clean it?

How do you clean the sand out of your water? I think that's your question. One answer which you already got is "you don't" You can just wait for it to settle. Sand in particular will settle quickly as it is relatively heavy and will pretty much stay settled if you don't mind a small amount in the bottom of your pond. A second answer is to filter it out of the water. You could use a fines filter or you could build a DIY filter using quilt batting and pump the water through it.

Does that answer your question?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I should clarify, Where did the sand come from?

I know sand is used as a substrate in aquariums but not sure why it would be in a pond.

Just trying to understand the situation.

Reaction score
In my experience, sand would settle in a few minutes, maybe an hour. What you may be seeing is dirt and dust that was on the sand or on the plant root balls etc. Now you have to ask yourself... is your pump sucking this up? And if it is, is your filter going to be able to filter out particles as small as dust? If not, you are just returning the dust into the pond and keeping it stirred up. The best way to get this to settle if you can't filter it out is to turn off the pumps so the water stops circulating the dirt. Let is settle to the bottom. Then you would use something like a wet/dry shopvac to suck it out. Or, you could just leave it down there. Id suck it out if it was my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess I should clarify, Where did the sand come from?

I know sand is used as a substrate in aquariums but not sure why it would be in a pond.

Just trying to understand the situation.

I'm guessed he was referring to the red sand you can see in his photos on the liner. That would be hard to keep out of the pond and would explain the color of the water.

Reaction score
Its like that for 2 days now :(
its not settling down and it started when i put the plants in two days ago.
i dont know what to do ):

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm guessed he was referring to the red sand you can see in his photos on the liner. That would be hard to keep out of the pond and would explain the color of the water.

Ah, Well that helps a bit. I'm looking at this on my phone so photos are hard to see especially if I have to click on each one to view it. I dont see any photos in this thread at all though. And I still don't understand where it came from. Are the plants potted in sand?

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You may not know what quilt batting is, but I'll bet your mom does. Our stores here in the US sell it in the "sewing" section or "craft" section. It's a fluffy polyester stuff that goes between the layers of a quilt when the quilt is sewn together. You want to be sure to get the kind that is rolled up into sort of like fluffy sheets [called batting], and not the kind that is packaged and looks like white cotton candy [called stuffing].

And be sure it's POLYESTER and not cotton.

What you do is place some in a basket with holes in it, where it sits out of the water. Let your water flow through this before it returns to the pond. Quilt batting is excellent for filtering out debris, and especially very fine stuff.

@sissy has threads on here about how to use the quilt batting.

(Guys, remember he's young and he lives in Isreal -- I think -- which might limit things that he has available to him.)

Reaction score
I'm originally from the U.S. I was lived and born in California for a while but my family is in Israel I'll try looking for the quilt batting you mentioned,thanks :)

Ask a Question