Brown Water

Reaction score
I know my brown water is from foliage at the bottom. Didn't have this problem w/ my smaller pond it was much more easier to manage. I could net all the leaves out. My pond now is much larger, went from 600 gals to 2500 big difference! I know I have to get the leaves out w/ a vacuum but after I'm done will the water clear up w/ filtration or do I have to do a partial water change?. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance to all.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You are correct, the brown water is from tannin from the leaves rotting. I would recommend getting all that you can out and do a water change in the process. The tannings can lower ph, and as they breakdown will put a heavy load on your Bio system. water changes are really the best way to clear up the brown however if you want to clear it up faster once the leaves have been removed, filter through batting material and activated charcoal will help in aiding the water to get back clear faster. The activated carbon will also remove metals, and some toxins that accumalate in a closed system. be sure and use good Aquarium grade or pond grade activated charcaol. Don't go trying to cut corners and get it cheaper somewhere else. If you are going to use it use what you KNOW is safe for fish.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
activated carbon will remove tannins but you need to remove the source before you can expect any major long term remedy. but a good 50% water change would likely clear the water sufficiently to see what your doing in your cleaning!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koiguy1969 said:
activated carbon will remove tannins but you need to remove the source before you can expect any major long term remedy. but a good 50% water change would likely clear the water sufficiently to see what your doing in your cleaning!

LOL, are we thinking on the same page or what!

Reaction score
Thanks all, you guys are awesome on the info. and the quick response. My next day off I'm gonna have to rig up a pool pump i have to vac the bottom and do a water change. :bouncycig:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had the brown water in one of my little ponds, did quilt batting to get rid of junk, charcoal to get rid of the brown color. Also did some water changes, had about 8 inches of leaves on the bottom............. Then decided to empty the pond and make it a bog. Too many leaves in that one spot.

Yep get the leaves out ow chasing your tail!

Reaction score
Consider a skimmer filter to prevent this from happening. You can buy floating skimmers with built in pump for fairly cheap and they do a reasonable job. You still have to clean the skimmer often, but its definitely easier than scooping leaves from the bottom in brown water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep, this was going to be a lily pond in the front area, then worried about dogs etc falling in, so happier with a bog. Neighbors dog did fall in, luckily we were home, had to pull it out, only 2.5 feet deep but deep enough to drown something. 1000 gallon stock tank

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just ordered one of the floating skimmers as we have flowering cherry trees and oaks above the pond. Even with the screen up stuff still gets in and the water is brown so using kitty litter, batting and UV.

Ask a Question