Building pond #2

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How is the new pond doing?
Doing ok I guess but I'm bummed out cause we didn't get to finish it. It got too cold and raining, we'll resume working at it next Spring.
The new pump only lasted 4 days so I've been running the pond on a 6000gph pump I kept for backup, the broken pump got sent back to manufactures (3yrs warranty) and I have no idea when I'll see it again. the broken pump is 9200gph but it cost less to run and the waterfall looks so much nicer, I want my pump back!

The 5 little fish are swimming around together it's so cute! I named the Hi Utsuri butterfly "Bumblebee" (I'm sure I'm not the only one) The Blue Matsuba butterfly is "BlueBell", the Aka Hajiro (or Benigoi) is "Ruby" and the other two I have no idea...one is the Oshiba I could call it "Shiba" and the smallest one is a Kujaku, i could call it "Kujo" but what if it turns out to be a wuss? I think I better wait on naming those 2 :D

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What brand was that pump? Internal or external? Glad you had a good warranty on it! Sorry you don't get to play outside w/your new pond more. Will they fix your pump or send a new one? Should not take that long if they just send another one.

Glad the little fish are doing well!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Doing ok I guess but I'm bummed out cause we didn't get to finish it. It got too cold and raining, we'll resume working at it next Spring.
The new pump only lasted 4 days so I've been running the pond on a 6000gph pump I kept for backup, the broken pump got sent back to manufactures (3yrs warranty) and I have no idea when I'll see it again. the broken pump is 9200gph but it cost less to run and the waterfall looks so much nicer, I want my pump back!

The 5 little fish are swimming around together it's so cute! I named the Hi Utsuri butterfly "Bumblebee" (I'm sure I'm not the only one) The Blue Matsuba butterfly is "BlueBell", the Aka Hajiro (or Benigoi) is "Ruby" and the other two I have no idea...one is the Oshiba I could call it "Shiba" and the smallest one is a Kujaku, i could call it "Kujo" but what if it turns out to be a wuss? I think I better wait on naming those 2 :D

I picked up bronze/ gold butterfly bout 20" long now and named him Fin Diesel due to the fish being very aggressive at feeding time it always charged in and beat everyone else at the food. Ends up fin is a girl and that's ok she would make Vin Diesel proud.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What brand was that pump? Internal or external? Glad you had a good warranty on it! Sorry you don't get to play outside w/your new pond more. Will they fix your pump or send a new one? Should not take that long if they just send another one.
Glad the little fish are doing well!
Thanks! That's the hardest part to have new fish and can't even feed them to bound with them....thought I'd have at least 3 more weeks of good warmer weather when I purchased them, but no!
The pump is a Tidalwave 9200gph submersible (goes in the skimmer box) We toke it back to the supplier and he sent it back to be evaluated by the manufactures they either fix it or replace it depending on what's wrong with it.
I picked up bronze/ gold butterfly bout 20" long now and named him Fin Diesel due to the fish being very aggressive at feeding time it always charged in and beat everyone else at the food. Ends up fin is a girl and that's ok she would make Vin Diesel proud.
That's funny, and cute! :)
Some fish I name cause of their appearance and others their personality ..I had a baby kin Kikokuryu that hid for 5 or 6 months, we called him Cave Dweller cause that's all we knew he did, now he's too big to hide so his name changed to Shy Dragon and it really suits him because he is very very skittish

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's a pet peeve of mine - I think an expensive piece of equipment that fails that soon should be replaced ASAP, no questions asked. But that's just one girl's opinion!
I would not except a refurbished PUMP that died after 4 days. now I understand a submersible could have sucked in just about anything but I would be less then a QUIET customer. And they can certainly see easy enough if the pump had sucked in some garbage

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would not except a refurbished PUMP that died after 4 days. now I understand a submersible could have sucked in just about anything but I would be less then a QUIET customer. And they can certainly see easy enough if the pump had sucked in some garbage
The warranty states fix, or replace so there isn't much that I can do at this point....
The 6000gph pump I'm using as backup, I bought last Fall and also only lasted a few month (different brand different seller), it was sent back and discovered water was getting into it, I'm not sure if it was fixed or replaced, but we were given a temporary pump to use while waiting for ours
I'm thinking they may have replaced a defective part and sent it back to us, I'm just crossing my fingers that it keeps on working I paid close to 700 for it, it's a shame that for that price they still sell you junk.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One reason I love my dragon lim pump (external) been running, in AZ 24/7 all year, here 24/7 summer months since I built the pond here. So since 2003 it has been running. Still running great.

6800 gph, paid around 800 ish. can't remember.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is rotten look about the weather this fall. It seems it is too cold already, and every other day it's raining, I certainly was not ready to give up morning coffee by the pond so soon. Cute names on the fish by the way, I did not name mine as my kids have named them and the names stuck, so we have Frugly, Frugly's friend, Hungry and Two face. Hope you get your pump back sooner rather than later, after that amount of hard work you deserve a working pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One reason I love my dragon lim pump (external) been running, in AZ 24/7 all year, here 24/7 summer months since I built the pond here. So since 2003 it has been running. Still running great.

6800 gph, paid around 800 ish. can't remember.
My very first pump ran for a decade until we resized the pond and needed a larger one, that second pump only lasted 1yr then we bought the one I'm using for backup now and it only lasted a few months than died....they don't make ANYTHING worth the money you spend anymore!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It is rotten look about the weather this fall. It seems it is too cold already, and every other day it's raining, I certainly was not ready to give up morning coffee by the pond so soon. Cute names on the fish by the way, I did not name mine as my kids have named them and the names stuck, so we have Frugly, Frugly's friend, Hungry and Two face. Hope you get your pump back sooner rather than later, after that amount of hard work you deserve a working pump.
Thank you!
I heard the Farmer's Almanac predicted a warmer but wetter winter than usual for us this year, I would love it to be "shorter" most of all :D I can't wait to get to know my new babies
smwater2.gif

I have one almost identical to your koi with the yellow head.
I'm not sure which fish you're referring to, I only have a solid yellow and a yellow dragon which is also almost all yellow
smdunno.gif

Ask a Question