Building pond #2

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Unfortunately we had to give up the idea of the Greenhouse-pond combo, too large, it would have had to been built too far from the house. I'm still getting both, just not in a combo.
So we (I :D) decided to take down the lower deck in the back, and build the pond in its place

deck1.jpg

deck2.jpg

We started the demolition....then we'll have to build the railing to close the opening where the stairs were, and build the stairs directly across from the backdoor.

deck3.jpg

After the new stairs are done, it'll be time to start figuring out shape and dimensions of the pond, and start digging
smdigging.gif

I'm excited, but very nervous! I hope it'll all work out!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh boy you get to have your next pond project and we get to watch you work hard :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Exciting, are you doing this on your own or hiring contractors?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh boy you get to have your next pond project and we get to watch you work hard :smuggrin:
Believe me taking down that deck was no pick nick, the screw heads were rusted but the body wasn't so it was a hard
I'll be working so hard every weekend that I'll be looking forward to Monday morning going back to work!
smtired.gif

Exciting, are you doing this on your own or hiring contractors?
we're doing it ourselves! We hired a contractor for the last renovation of the other pond, 2yrs ago...lets just say "never again" !!
smnono.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looking forward to your build @Gemma !
Thanks!
....but I hope you guys don't expect a work of art. It'll be a simple set up like my other pond, just skimmer, bio-fall, and an upper tub for plants.

It rained almost all weekend, so we barely started setting posts and framing the new stairs.We're hoping to get that done next weekend.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I do wonder about your basement window and dampness going inside the basement walls .When I had my insurance company going around to homes to do the insurance inspections they even measured how far the pond was from the basement and mine is half above basement area and half below and over 10 feet away and off to the side of basement .Insurance companies have been doing a lot of inspections for people that over insure dumps .I guess they are getting more careful about insuring people

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do wonder about your basement window and dampness going inside the basement walls .When I had my insurance company going around to homes to do the insurance inspections they even measured how far the pond was from the basement and mine is half above basement area and half below and over 10 feet away and off to the side of basement .Insurance companies have been doing a lot of inspections for people that over insure dumps .I guess they are getting more careful about insuring people
The pond is not going to be that close to the house, we're leaving several feet of distance to be able to put a ladder, and maintenance the house. No worries about leaks either, it's on a slope, and the part closer to the house (for plants) doesn't need to be very deep so should be all ( or just about ) above ground

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow looks like a great pond project . Keep the pics coming!!
The ground is cleared!
I'm going to try to explain what we're thinking of doing...
The pond will be half above and half in ground.
The idea is to have the water circulate in a perfect circle, placing the waterfall and the skimmer on the same side but in separate tubs.
We plan on starting with building the top part for plants (and frogs, birds...) then the bottom pond for the fish.
The plan is to place the 40" waterfall at the end corner of the house, facing where I stood to take the pic below, (so that we'll have a front view from the deck) the water should move through the plants, then spill to the right into the fish pond, making a U turn to be sucked into the skimmer.
deckgone.jpg

Sorry I'm not good at explain, I'll post pics!

Last edited:

Ask a Question