Building pond in Israel by a Granny!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Nice to have a few early guests. My best wishes that you have a happy holiday with family and friends.
Thank you! Believe it or not, one of my guests actually told me that her dream would be to lay the cornerstone for a new house in Israel. I asked her if moving some key rocks into the pond would be a close approximation, and she said "absolutely!" So we may end up setting the peninsula stone on Friday. It's huge and weighs probably around 300 kg, but I think that working together, three old grannies can roll it to where it needs to go. Going to be fun!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oK ISRAEL is out for me, i'm the type who can't sit still always tinkering

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
oK ISRAEL is out for me, i'm the type who can't sit still always tinkering
Well, you wouldn't be required to observe Shabbat - just a personal preference. So come visit anytime! Just give me some notice so I can pick you up at the airport!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you have been quiet and we know that doesn't mean you have been inactive on your pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD is getting desperate for pond build updates. I’m not enough for him. lol

@YShahar, I am really curious how it went setting that big peninsula stone. 300kg is a massive rock to move by hand. How did you even get it to the back yard?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Being Roman catholic You'd think i'd remember that stuff. It was Easter shame on me.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Yep, the Pessah (Passover) week just finished. Whew! I spent most of the non-holiday days of the festival taking folks out on the jeep trails. Afterwards, we did one last romantic picnic, just His Honor the Cook and I. Collected some really nice rocks too!

On the last holiday that winds up the festival, we had the grandkids over and they marveled at the big hole in the ground. They're super eager to see some water in it. As am I!

But sadly, today will probably not see much rock going in. I woke up to find that a huge dust storm had blown in overnight, coating everything with a thick layer of sand and dust. Here's a photo from my upstairs window. Yesterday we could see the ocean and the buildings along the coast. Now there's no visibility at all past the big hill near the town gate.

dust.jpg

I checked online to see if I could see how long the stuff would be over us...

dust-storm.jpg

Doesn't look like we'll be seeing any blue sky until just before sunset. A good day to stay indoors!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
But it's home right you have dust storms, and drought , here in my area we have tics and liberal tics

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Home, sweet home... We've got dust storms, drought, and a slew of missiles were fired from Gaza over the past couple of days aimed at our population centers along the border. Personally, I kind of prefer the dust... ;-)

Meanwhile, my crazy neighbor is out in this stuff trying to mow his lawn... Nice guy, but anyone who tries to keep a lawn in our region is already a bit nuts to begin with. Mowing in a dust storm is just icing on the volcano!

If the dust settles a bit later on, I'll try moving a couple of rocks. I've got the intake bay looking really good now. Just need to use my grinder to carve out some indentations in the concrete around the porch pillars so that I can inset some rock. I'll also be taking up bits of the old concrete and creating a pebbled pathway on the near side of the intake bay so that it will blend better with the porch. Mostly little aesthetic touches. Hopefully the weather tomorrow will be better for rock work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I imagine trying to keep a pond from filling in with the dust is almost as futile ? But a whole lot more satisfying than grass.

And I guess you win the lunatics category

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I imagine trying to keep a pond from filling in with the dust is almost as futile ? But a whole lot more satisfying than grass.

And I guess you win the lunatics category
Nah, I'll just have to stock some fish to stir the dust off the bottom so it can get collected by the filters. And anyway, the vast the majority of the dust always falls in our living room. How much could possibly be left over for the pond? ;-)

Ask a Question