Ok let's take this outside boys
1649628692950.gif

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
In today's news, I caught a glimpse of a rare and elusive creature amongst the overlay and spent citrus blossoms...

Nessie1a.jpg

Nessie!

And here's a better shot, to show what sort of critter we have here:

Nessie2.jpg

Although it looks like a snake, this is actually a giant legless lizard, called a sheltopusik (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheltopusik). This one pays us a visit every spring and is now over a meter long! We've named her Escargot, because the first hint of her existence was the unsettling sound of her dining on giant land snails. Even now, the distinctive "crunch crunch crunch" may be the only indication that she's in the vicinity, as it's very hard to get near enough for a glimpse, much less a photo. This time, she was totally confused by the changes to the landscape, and seems to have had a hard time getting out of the underlayment. That gave me a chance to get close enough for a photo op!

I hope all the excitement doesn't keep her away in future!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
In today's news, I caught a glimpse of a rare and elusive creature amongst the overlay and spent citrus blossoms...

View attachment 149562
Nessie!

View attachment 149563

Although it looks like a snake, this is actually a giant legless lizard, called a sheltopusik (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheltopusik). This one pays us a visit every spring and is now over a meter long! We've named her Escargot, because the first hint of her existence was the unsettling sound of her dining on giant land snails. Even now, the distinctive "crunch crunch crunch" may be the only indication that she's in the vicinity, as it's very hard to get near enough for a glimpse, much less a photo. This time, she was totally confused by the changes to the landscape, and seems to have had a hard time getting out of the underlayment. That gave me a chance to get close enough for a photo op!

super cool! I have only ever seen like 6 inch long legless lizards at the reptile store.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
super cool! I have only ever seen like 6 inch long legless lizards at the reptile store.
Here, they're really huge! But you mostly hear them, rather than seeing them. I think they're the only critter capable of eating the big ground snails, some of which are 3 or 4 cm across.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
So. You're readying for a week long festival, which is good. And readying for entertaining. Good. But what could be more entertaining to guests than helping haul pond liner and rocks all around?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

View attachment 149562
Nessie!

View attachment 149563

oh i doubt it seeing as your desert im sure any water source will bring it back and many others

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
So. You're readying for a week long festival, which is good. And readying for entertaining. Good. But what could be more entertaining to guests than helping haul pond liner and rocks all around?
My thoughts exactly! Only problem being that most of the guests will be here on the very day when we aren't allowed to do creative endeavors. But those that get here on Friday morning are going to be helping me haul rocks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
My thoughts exactly! Only problem being that most of the guests will be here on the very day when we aren't allowed to do creative endeavors. But those that get here on Friday morning are going to be helping me haul rocks!
Nice to have a few early guests. My best wishes that you have a happy holiday with family and friends.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Is that a religious or a state mandate. just a day of rest no activities that would make noise and bother others?
It's a religious mandate. We have one day a week (Friday evening from just before sundown to Saturday night at starshine) when we don't make tools, don't cook, don't create things, and basically refrain from making changes to our environment. I think of it as "live-like-a-dolphin day". So for the whole day, we spend a lot of time with family, eating good (pre-cooked) food, reading, and just enjoying the sense of not having to do anything or go anywhere.

Ask a Question