Advice on building a bog in my pre-existing pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I have a 2750g koi pond, 10 koi. I have a skimmer at one end as a mechanical filter that re enters into side of pond about 10" below surface for circulation. I have a bottom drain that exits the side of the pond into a leaf pot and then an external pump that flows through a UV Filter and up into a waterfall.

The pond is 14 years old and I built it with help from you all. TY. It has been awesome and short of losing some koi naturally(herons) and one that got sucked into the bottom drain when top accidentally came off, it has been a pretty healthy vibrant pond and my koi have gotten quite large!

2 years ago i removed a large bio filter with the media inside because I found that when I needed to bypass it for whatever reason the pond did just fine without it. So this spring I removed it completely but I am thinking I should have at least some sort of natural filter to address some of the chemical buildup in the pond.

I just can't figure out where to build it. The top of the pond, after the UV filter and before the weir seems most logical, and I have room there and I read the posts on how, but I am not sure how the water gets out of the bog at a high enough rate to allow a waterfall at the top?

Any help/advice would be appreciated! I attached a pic of pond as reference....TY!

Anthony

Attachments

• img_0179_resized.jpg
    img_0179_resized.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 79
  • img_0006_resized.jpg
    img_0006_resized.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 80
  • img_0001_resized.jpg
    img_0001_resized.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0009_3.JPG
    IMG_0009_3.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 84

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful pond!

I have almost all of my pump water being fed into the bog, get a great water flow back into the pond. My bog is large It is raining the pond is higher than normal. So the waterfall looks shallow.

pond waterfall.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am very nervous that you removed your main biological filtration from a pond this size with that many big koi.

Your pond is lovely! It's hard to judge space from photos - how much room do you have at the back of the waterfall? Or in front of the fence? Your bog could run all along the back edge of the pond, if you have room to work back there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh and I missed the waterfall question - our bog feeds our big waterfall. We increase the flow two ways - A. we reduced the outlet from the bog to create more "force" and B. we have a pooling area at the top where water collects before it goes down the falls. We do have a secondary feed to that pooling area (a smaller waterfall with it's own water line) but even when we turn that off we get plenty of volume down the falls. Remember, you can create volume by holding back water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Beautiful pond!

If you build a bog, as long as it's sized properly, you won't need any other filters or a UV light.
The bog surface area should be about 30% of the pond's surface area. You will have crystal clear water with zero maintenance.

As others have suggested, maybe the bog can be built at that upper area, above you beautiful waterfall.
How much room is up there? That would be the perfect spot, if there's room up there.

Ask a Question