addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bee loves the lotus. Gathering nectar, the flower has nectar the first day it is open.
DSC07358.JPG
DSC07357.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are learning all the tricks to keep your hive growing and flourishing. Never knew about robbing bees! I don't quite understand how a robber screen or the reducer thing works. The bees are all the same size so what stops them from going into that new one?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen quite a few honey bees here this year but we do have a lot of amish farms that keep hives. Started noticing yellow jackets at my new hummingbird feeders. Checked our yard and the neighbors yard as we cut her grass. Found 2 nests. By morning an animal had dug out one and I sprayed the other. Hubby got stung 3 times today! Meat tenderizer and benedryl and hoping for the best. Found the nest he hit with the mower. Little ones are just hatching. I hate these bugs!!! I have put out traps and caught a lot of them but luckily no honey bees. If I do catch one I will let it go but the others- NO.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They swarm our property once the apples start falling and ripening. I have not seen any, yet, this summer.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So you want to do BEES??????????????? This is one mad hive.............

during a inspection we found out the first hive that swarmed then swarmed back to their hive is queenless. When they are queenless they are testy mad irritable. They may be making a new queen but it is late in the season to have a successful succession. If they are growing a queen it is 45 days before she can make eggs, we will be into september by them. Not enough time , most likely, to get the hive healthy for winter. We are going to let them try, if a queen is being created in that hive, she will be born then breed then have eggs, maybe If it happens we will feed them heavy to try to get the brood growing and going before the cold hits.

SO we took the hive apart, took the second up brood chamber full of drawn comb to give to our pretend hive that has the pretty queen with hardly any brood. Giving them drawn comb for the queen to lay in, already capped honey, space and we will feed them they should explode in population and make it through the winter.
We could have taken the pretend hive and combine it with the queenless hive, but if the queenless gals are virgin laying, i.e. they start laying eggs without being fertile, they would kill the added queen, we do not want to take that chance.

We left a deep brood box of drawn comb for the queenless hive, honey and space, we will see what happens, it may just die out as the bees die off, they die every six weeks.

We both got stung, me ankle again, him /one got under his jacket and stung his arm pit, .........him no swelling no redness.............me swollen red ankle...................unfair!
The girls chased us to the front door, they never do that. Most of the time we do not even smoke them, usual so gentle...............not today. They are still buzzing the front door, waiting on us!

bees 1.JPG
bees 1a.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good grief you are hostages of the mad bees! Hope they don't find a way inside :eek:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good grief you are hostages of the mad bees! Hope they don't find a way inside :eek:
In the sunlight you see thousands of bees buzzing around, really po'd them off................we made a few mistakes, still in the learning curve.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It was our mistake................dummy us brought a honey super near the front door, the be removal stuff I bought did not remove them, in fact it seemed to attract them. So we had 5 hives of worker bees happy as a bee coming to take the honey from the super and haul it back to the hives. By 10pm they quit flying went home and I went out to cover the honey super, close it off to any other bees arriving, moved it away from the house. Then early this am, honey and I went out and pulled the honey frames, wiped off any remaining bees, stuck the frames into a cooler, which is in the garage now.

So now we just need to wait until they figure out the free food buffet is over, a few are flying around out there today, but not bad.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
@addy1, I just have to ask; have you ever known honeybees to set up a hive UNDERGROUND? While mowing the backyard yesterday, I noticed a lot of what I thought were yellowjackets (was starting to get dark), so I shut off the mower, hit the accellerator, and got the he.. out of there. When I went back for a look-see today, I realized that they weren't hornets, they are much smaller, and look like honeybees. There is a 12" wide mound of dirt there, which I assume was thrown up by a mole, and the bees have about 6 or 7 tunnels going into this mound. I got to within 2' of them, and they showed no agressive tendencies, unlike yellowjackets. I should note also that I have seen virtually NO honeybees around here in the past few years, so I'm a bit curious!
John

Ask a Question