j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wait addy you mean the people who were going to help you do all this backed out? Oh my I thought you were doing it together w/ them. Now I'm thinking you are on your own w/all of this.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh changing out the trays and knowing when to do it and leaving them some so they do not starve and marking the queen is not an easy job .I still remember all the empty trays the guy would bring and his smoker and bee suit .I still remember the storm that hit and we had to call the guy because something upset the bees and they swarmed .They covered a tree and the side of the garage .Scarey .He did get them calmed down and got the queen and got them back to the hives but it took hours to do .It sure scared my mom though .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Wait addy you mean the people who were going to help you do all this backed out? Oh my I thought you were doing it together w/ them. Now I'm thinking you are on your own w/all of this.
No they are still helping, as much as they can. They home school, busy people, they did more of a get me started help. I will be caring for the bees more on my own with some help, they will help us pull the honey. They have all of the equipment. I also joined a beekeepers society, once you join you can borrow the harvest equipment when you need it. The company I am getting the bees from will put hives on your land at their expense and maintain them for the honey. But since I already have all the gear here or coming, some put together, it is now my adventure.

Yeah sissy they swarm if you don't give them enough room for their brood, if the queen gets weak. Warm spring, cool summer, lack of nectar all factors on caring for them knowing when to feed on and on. Lots to learn.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
HARO said:
I got a little treadmill for MY brain cell! Poor, lonely little guy!!!
John
Yeah it is sad when you only have one left!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol jw The right side cell fighting the left side cell.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I tried to get a picture, but he's been on the treadmill so much that I just can't catch him any more!! :cheerful:
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
utoh escaping brain cell.............post a lookout

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
addy did you see on the news about a truckload of bees in hives overturned on the interstate and swarmed .WOW

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no I didn't , prob on their way to a nectar flow, i.e. a crop needing bees. Poor bees.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Think this is it:

Millions of bees swarm Georgia interstate after truck overturns
Reuters
First posted:

Monday, November 04, 2013 02:16 PM EST

ATLANTA - An overturned tractor-trailer let loose millions of honeybees on Sunday and left a sticky mess on a major highway south of Atlanta, after hitting a guardrail and spilling its cargo of hives and honey.
“It looked like there was a rain cloud around everybody,” Monroe County Emergency Management Agency director Matthew Perry said on Monday. “There was a giant mound of honeycomb and bees.”
A portion of Interstate 75 was closed briefly, and clean-up of the honey and swarming bees took 15 hours, Perry said.
Authorities sought help from beekeepers, who arrived with protective gear to assist with the potentially dangerous swarm.
The debris was pushed to the median with a small bulldozer and then beekeepers began piecing the broken hives back together so the bees would return, Perry said. The hives were loaded back into bee boxes and hauled away.
No one was stung or injured, in part because the weather was cool and the bees docile, Perry said.
“When you have an interstate like I-75, you never know what’s going to come passing through,” he said.
1297414008514_ORIGINAL.jpg

BYLouxkIEAA7qhu.png

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
what a mess, putting the hives back together won't get the bees to return, each queen needs to be found, then placed in the hive, then the workers will return over the next few days. So with each swarm (if they grouped together) would have to be searched for the queen.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wondering if they will do that,look for the queens or is all lost w/ those bees? What a shame!

Ask a Question