buzzzzzzzzzz new adventure

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am watching this thread with great interest - we are wondering about the viability of one or two hives in a suburban yard. Our neighbors would probably have a fit. They were already concerned that our pond and garden were attracting too many bees and wasps. "We have KIDS!" they said. Really? I'm assuming they like to EAT? Ha!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The master bee keeper told us the hives in suburban yards do the best. You have trees, flowers planted by homeowners, fruit trees etc etc. We are rural, farm land around us, gmo corn and soy which has no good stuff for the bees. Here the bees depend on the flowering trees, more than the flowers. Now I have converted a lot of our grass to nectar producing flowers for the bees, but I need to protect them from the deer. Which have totally munched down our plants this winter.

He recommends two hives, if one has issues you can use some of the bees from the good hive to save the second one.

Here in frederick, bee keepers have the right to have them in suburban yards, you just need to inform your neighbors. They can not keep you from having them. We were told one thing to have in our bee kit is a epipen just in case, even if you never had a reaction to a sting.

Some townhouse owners in baltimore have them on their balconies, the bees do great in baltimore, high density housing.

The bees are so gentle, I was handling them with no gloves or suit on, and my first time ever. I did have a face veil, one thing they say you should wear at all times, they like to crawl up dark spaces, nose, ears lol.

I am sure I will be stung, but the stings have good properties, he stings his knees once a year, keeps him walking. Another stings near her eye, keeps the cloudiness away, he also told us someone with MS came to him and he supplied bees for stinging her. She came in a wheelchair and can now walk unassisted, over a period of month, no clue how often she was stinging herself.

My hands hurt a lot so if a sting helps them, it will be fine. The Bee sting is so much less of a sting then the wasps, that have stung me multiple times since I moved here. One time I had 14 sting me at once.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well my bee suit, ordered in October, back ordered, arrived yesterday. Now that I have handled bees without a suit, might not need it, but they say when you go to take their honey they are a little cranky. A little big for me, but ventilated so I don't pass out from the heat.

Dsc06817.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How cute! You are all set and you don't want to risk getting stung...................look what that ivy stuff does to ya. What about your fingers and toesies? I know you would wear gloves and shoes but do they have special ones that fit tight to the sleeves and pant legs? I've seen where bees swarm all over the suits. How do you get the bees off the suit if they get on it and won't get off? Smoke or something?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Doesn't do a THING for you, Addy! But I DO have a question..... What the HE-- is that beside the blue pot? Looks like a decapitated monster foot!! :eek:(Depeditated? Have to google that!)
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing! My dad took pottery classes at the college until 6 months before he passed at almost 90. That was a class assignment to make a representation of something living.
He chose his chocolate lab, reihna. It was his pride and joy, he loved that dog. None of my family wanted it so reihna sits in our living room. She is playing with her ball.
DSC06818.JPG
DSC06819.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think he's talking about that tall thing behind the baking soda bag................what on earth is it?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww got it! Those are cypress tree roots my lil sisters husband collected out of the swamps in Louisiana.
They go out in a row boat, saw them off (they stick above water) try to haul into the boat without tipping over, dry, peal off the bark and you have these neat roots.

DSC06835.JPG

DSC06839.JPG
DSC06838.JPG
DSC06837.JPG
DSC06836.JPG

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thank you. Should have said "behind the bag"! OK, glad we straightened THAT out. Nice dog sculpture, BTW.
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow addy those are fantastic! And yes your dad was quite the abstract artist :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I was living in arizona, my sis and her hubby were moving to Alaska, hubby made the decision that they could not take the roots with them. (They packed one trailer of stuff) I was helping them pack so of course offered to give them a good home. They have since moved back to arizona, just as I was moving to Maryland, even offered the roots back, but they told me to keep them. I think they are so cool.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking great addy1 - and Missy in her red coat too! (y)
She was on squirrel watch, they come onto the deck. I have a feeder for them. She "protects" us from them.

Ask a Question