Can one sprinkle concrete over liner to create a concrete pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd have to disagree there doc. a small boring back yard is a small boring back yard if you have kids or a pack of dogs sure taking up some space might be a deal breaker for you . but if your older and like to relax in your own back yard as a mini vacation well . There's not one person who hasn't seen my pond that hasn't taken a seat and chilled. If you didn't know better you could swear I took up the entire yard . as I sure did take up all of what you can see from the deck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not worked with PE but i do know it's stiffer then would be epdm . Im sure there is some way to adhere or seam it but with those tiers it maybe asking a lot of that material.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m not familiar with PE, either, but 20 mil isn’t very thick. In fact, in the product description it seems they recommend EPDM. For a pond the size you are talking about, even though it might be more expensive initially, in the long run, a thicker, more durable liner is your insurance policy against leaks and headaches. The one thing you NEVER want to skimp on is your liner.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When I sold my house in NJ I packed up everything and repainted and showed the improvements and all copies of bills that come in every month and showed what is new and each person that was interested could have a copy ,well not sure I spent money wisely because house sold sight unseen first day for cash .All he went by was the pictures and measurements he saw in the paper .Here it would be difficult to sell ,I just upgrade myself .The future you never can predict on anything .If you do a pond you are really better making up a budget of what you want to spend and best investment is a good liner like epdm .You will have to remember that an electrician will be needed and put more outlets than you think you will need and a dedicated circuit also .Also research pumps and look at electric use and reviews .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built my pond similar to what you're saying but my 3 inch thick concrete has a full plastic liner under everything. I put wirecloth everywhere i put concrete. My pond is around 24,000 gallons.
Done this way is still a lot of work and cost around 3500 dollars.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built my pond similar to what you're saying but my 3 inch thick concrete has a full plastic liner under everything. I put wirecloth everywhere i put concrete. My pond is around 24,000 gallons.
Done this way is still a lot of work and cost around 3500 dollars.
Did you have a truck come in to blast the concrete? How did you apply the concrete to the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you have a truck come in to blast the concrete? How did you apply the concrete to the pond?
I used my cement mixer and used Western One Coat. I used a trowl to spread it over hardware cloth. I waited a couple months and added a second layer. I have some cracks but with the plastic liner underneath i have no leaks. For my 24,000 gallon pond it took about 60 bags a coat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used my cement mixer and used Western One Coat. I used a trowl to spread it over hardware cloth. I waited a couple months and added a second layer. I have some cracks but with the plastic liner underneath i have no leaks. For my 24,000 gallon pond it took about 60 bags a coat.
Is Western 1-Kote that stuff you used as concrete? Does that have some ability to flex instead of crack?

Ask a Question