Sprinkler system water the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Started up the sprinkler system today and two sprinkler heads water the pond area. This water has chlorine in it. Is the amount that gets into the pond a problem. Most of the time the sprinklers are running when no one is here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
depends on how long they run but the water coming out is subjected to evaporation and being wind blown ,so it should have no effect .My opinion only .Hopefully you do not get runoff from the lawn around it that may have fertilizer on it

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is an opinion based upon anecdotal personal experience from living in two different states: No.
I say that because you have goldfish and assuming the sprinkler zone affecting your pond probably runs for say, about 15 minutes or so. You have a good size pond with lots of volume. Perhaps this might not be the case with small volume ponds. I would suggest taking a bowl and placing it next to the pond when the sprinkler runs to see just how much water actually hits the pond.
Things degrading chlorine are sunlight (UV), heat atomization (Flying through the air flying through the air from the sprinkler head, filter circulation, wind etc) What I did: Programmed the sprinkler to run during daylight hours. It was a trade off because the best time to irrigate is 0200-0300 hrs. Another thing I always do is call and talk to my water company chemist. Don't rely entirely upon the printed reports. The chemist can tell you when chlorine and chloramines are higher and you can adjust your sprinkler accordingly. I would start by calling your water company and measuring the amount of water actually entering the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Wow, great information. Thanks. Sounds like it should be fine, but will call the utility company too!

Ask a Question