Container ponds on concrete block stands?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! To prevent toddlers and raccoons from visiting my water garden next year without resorting to a lid, I am thinking of making a stand out of concrete blocks (like this; https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcastle-8-in-x-8-in-x-16-in-Concrete-Block-30161345/100350252 ...obviously the holes would be placed vertically to keep anything from trying to climb up the stand) to place the water garden in. The stand would be at least 16 inches high (taller for a short water garden). Would this work to keep toddlers and raccoons out? Thanks :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi everyone! To prevent toddlers and raccoons from visiting my water garden next year without resorting to a lid, I am thinking of making a stand out of concrete blocks (like this; https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcastle-8-in-x-8-in-x-16-in-Concrete-Block-30161345/100350252 ...obviously the holes would be placed vertically to keep anything from trying to climb up the stand) to place the water garden in. The stand would be at least 16 inches high (taller for a short water garden). Would this work to keep toddlers and raccoons out? Thanks :)
Toddlers? Maybe. Raccoons? Probably not (those suckers can CLIMB!) Actually, thinking about it, the same goes for many toddlers, so... 16" isn't very tall.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Toddlers? Maybe. Raccoons? Probably not (those suckers can CLIMB!) Actually, thinking about it, the same goes for many toddlers, so... 16" isn't very tall.
Bummer! Does that mean I am stuck with using some kind of lid?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If I was trying to keep small children out, I'd go three feet straight up. Anyone taller than that who might topple in could just stand up & avoid drowning. Anyone shorter shouldn't be out & about without supervision anyway.
Raccoons are a different story. If the pond walls are fairly straight & the fish have places to hide, then even if they can climb up to the edge, the (smart) fish should be relatively safe from grasping paws.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If I was trying to keep small children out, I'd go three feet straight up. Anyone taller than that who might topple in could just stand up & avoid drowning. Anyone shorter shouldn't be out & about without supervision anyway.
Raccoons are a different story. If the pond walls are fairly straight & the fish have places to hide, then even if they can climb up to the edge, the (smart) fish should be relatively safe from grasping paws.
So...does the three feet include the water garden itself, or does the concrete stand need to be three feet high? The water garden in question would be a water trough.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is this your toddler you’re worried about? Or toddlers in general? I think I’d rather have a container pond at ground level and let the toddler have a good view than to tempt them to try to climb to see what’s up there.

But in any case, I’d never assume that a toddler was safe around a body of water no matter how small or “protected”.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So...does the three feet include the water garden itself, or does the concrete stand need to be three feet high? The water garden in question would be a water trough.
(Disclaimer - I'm just making this up as I go along, but...) IMO, if the edge of the 'pond', or in your case, trough, was three feet straight off the ground, I'd say that no small child is likely to accidentally wander into it. Could a determined toddler climb up & fall in, given a bit of unsupervised time & freedom? Well, yeah - but that's what parental supervision is for. I don't think you need to perch your trough 3' feet up, just make sure the edge is high enough to discourage little ones (or drunk friends/relatives) from wandering past & falling in.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is this your toddler you’re worried about? Or toddlers in general? I think I’d rather have a container pond at ground level and let the toddler have a good view than to tempt them to try to climb to see what’s up there.

But in any case, I’d never assume that a toddler was safe around a body of water no matter how small or “protected”.
Just neighborhood toddlers. Yeah, I think it would work better to just have the water garden at ground level and put a sturdy lid over it. Thanks :)

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A fence for the toddlers, but only a VERY SECURE lid will protect it from raccoons. Raccoons are very smart and dexterous. That lid better be secure.
I was going to use 14 gauge welded wire fencing for the lid and weigh it down with four of the aforementioned concrete blocks, each weighing 37 pounds.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ah! Great idea! The sun, rain and air will get through that. Perfect! For some reason I pictured a more solid cover, plywood, hard plastic...
Yeah, a solid lid would not have been conducive to plant growth (and a transparent solid lid would have turned the water garden into a giant pressure cooker). I am assuming that raccoons are unlikely to successfully tear through 14 gauge wire and would also struggle to remove the blocks.

Ask a Question