Sprinkler system water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
my sprinkler system water hits the pond and bog. It is city water, chlorinated. Is this a problem?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How long does it run for? Usually, spraying water into the air helps remove chlorine but I don't think it removes chloramines. Can you redirect the spray pattern?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can change out your sprinkler heads for the new ones that do a fan shape instead of all around

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can't imagine the small amount of water that enters your pond via the sprinklers could cause a problem. I add several hundred gallons of water to my pond at a time (with a hose, also chlorinated) without issue.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But heat and sun can change that with adding water to a pond .In NJ I could add city water but down here the ponders in my little club say city water added from their hose causes problems ,Even my well water can cause problems because of the temperature of the water .My well is over 400 feet in the ground and is really cold .It can also depend on the city and what they add and when they add it .Fan shaped sprinkle heads are only about 4 dollars and easy to install unscrew old one screw in new one .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Lisak1,thanks for your experience. I was hoping the amount the sprinklers put in was to small to make a difference but did contribute to offsetting evaporation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
The location of the pond sort-of rules out any changes to sprinkler heads since they sprinkle plants, trees and grass all around the pond.

Can someone explain the chloamine issue as regards to how much water you could add without treating it. If I automatically added 10% makeup water each week to make up for evaporation would that be OK?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But heat and sun can change that with adding water to a pond .In NJ I could add city water but down here the ponders in my little club say city water added from their hose causes problems ,Even my well water can cause problems because of the temperature of the water

Again - we're talking sprinkler, not hose. It's like rain hitting the pond - the amount of water is too small to make a difference. I've run a sprinkler over my whole backyard - pond and all - it's not going to affect the temperature of the pond even if it's ice water. I don't know what other kinds of problems people might report that hose water causes so I can't answer that.

I'm not a water chemistry expert @MajorDan so I can't address your specific question. I think any responsible pond owner would tell you to always add de-chlor if you know your source water has chlorine. I'm just not as responsible as most! And chloramines are a whole other story.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can only say, that when I run out of rain water, I use the hose sprinkler to water the plants, it does shoot over the pond for at least twenty minutes each time. I have not had a problem, with fish or plants. My water source does not have chloramine, unless it's something that's changed this year. If memory serves, chloramine is added to public water to help prevent a bacteria that corrodes pipes, and that it also takes longer to evaporate. You can always test your water to see if it was added.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know of no town or city that does not add some sort of chemicals to their water. if they didn't when you turned on your faucet you would not like the green or rotten egg smell.
first question is how big is your pond?
Place a bucket under the watering area see how much water your adding.
I'd think that you'll not have an issue the chloramine will be neutralized by the sun if your a small amount of added city water compared to a substantially larger pond volume

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@GBBUDD chlorine is added to public water, chloramine is also added in some areas but not everywhere. Some areas that use chloramine can get nitrification in the pipes in hot weather, and it has to be monitored. As far as I'm aware Boston uses chloramine, but my town does not. To remove chloramine, the sun will help some, but a carbon filter or a bottle of chlorine/chloramine will remove it. Best thing to do is find out what's in your water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
also depends on how long the sprinklers run and how many heads are putting water into the pond .I would test the pond water after the sprinklers turn off and the size of the pond will help us also like said .Some of my ponders in my club are dealing with city water from Danville and have sprinklers and are having problems during the summer months because of adding extra chemicals to the city water and they will not even drink it because it has a smell and taste to it .In 2 of the areas just inside the city limits they built bigger fancy homes with all the extras and several of them were on the pond tour and commented about the water and the city water there seems to always have problems as it is always on the news .It is an outdated over used system .So always makes me wonder about city water since seeing this on the news since I moved here back in 2004 .I am glad I have a well .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I use a trickle fill to put in about 3% of the volume per day of water treated with chloramines. It's fine. There is so much biological material in a pond that those chloramines are going to be instantly broken down (that's what they are there for). Chloramines are more stable in sterile water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Wow, great info. I really appreciate all the responses and am now comfortable with what my pond will experience from sprinklers and or trickle make up water.

Ask a Question