Can pond kits go bad?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
Do you guys that have been doing this for a long time ever test? I'm new and want to do the right thing. I hate it when a fish dies and it might me my fault. I think your right. Things look good and fish are always hunger now. I'll just do water changes once a week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
We struggled with algae coming and going after setting up our new pond. I have a bog with plants just starting to thrive, water lilies and pickerel rush in pots in pond and Mermaid plants, Red ludwigia, and Hornwort in the pond with 5 shubunkins and 12 trap door snails at last count. The water cycles from barely green to dark green to brown based on some change in weather or some other condition. But three things I did that helped was add aeration, slowed down the flow through the bog and reduced feeding of fish to just a very small amount once a day (there is more than enough natural food in ponds to support your fish if you aren’t overstocked).
Lately, water went from soup green, to brown (dead algae) then cleared then turned a translucent green that has now gotten almost gone. I was advised to be patient. I have been patient and things are looking good. Only thing I have added is Prime when ammonia and nitrites spiked to dangerous levels.
I am sure you will get lots of specific advice from the experts here.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you guys that have been doing this for a long time ever test? I'm new and want to do the right thing. I hate it when a fish dies and it might me my fault. I think your right. Things look good and fish are always hunger now. I'll just do water changes once a week.
Donna- I have 2 koi ponds and I will admit I haven't tested my pond water in almost 2 years! I let the fish tell me when something is off. For someone just starting out with a brand new pond, it's good to test so you know when your pond is cycled. The only water changes I do are a big one in the spring when I scoop out the leaves that sneak thru the net and then I flush my filters out when I see the flow is slowing down and top off the ponds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I used the test kits when I first started up the pond for a bit but don't do it anymore. I have done slow water in slow water out water changes once in awhile. Fish are fine.

Ask a Question