Can pond kits go bad?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I have from 2 years ago API test kit. Expiration 2020 and 2022. Everything is testing out poor.

My pond is new from ripping out old and starting new. Running for about a month. My 6 Shubunkn live in 200 gal. part of the pond That does not include the stream part. Been adding beneficial bacteria every day to get that up and running. Doing partial water changes everyday to see if that would help. It seems to be getting worse. Fish won't eat but very active. Skimmer is taking out tree seeds and pollen but water seems to be brownish. Any ideas?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
New pond water will take sometimes a long time to recycle. Changing the water may be making it start all over again. Perhaps the algae likes the beneficial bacteria for growing too. Patience is the key.
You could take a sample of your water to the fish store where they will test it for free so you can see if the results match your test kit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You say the results are bad, bad how? Like ph reading way off normal? Or just ammonia and nitrogen reading high? Test three samples, tap water, new pond, old pond. See how results vary. That should give you a clue if the test kit has gone bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
give us specific readings, will help with the diagnosis
Also why using bacteria? Did you try to cycle without it first? What type of filtration are you using?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
OK so I did my filtered faucet: PH: 7 Ammonnia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Phosphorus: .25 ppm

The Pond: PH: 9 Phosphate: 10 Ammonia: 2 Nitrate: .25 ppm

So the test kit is right on. Some Phosphorus in my drinking water. So now what do I do? Would pond salt help the fish survive better under these harsh circumstances? Do deeper water changes rather just a little bit? I've never had such bad numbers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ammonia is probably coming from fish waste, how are you cleaning the water to remove it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I just added 5 fish this past Saturday and the numbers were off a some before that. I figured it would be ok but now the numbers are dropping more. Plus the fish are not eating much. Could rain be a problem? We have had more rain than I ever remember. That's why I thought maybe the test kit was old. But that theory was debunked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So you now have 11 fish in 200 gallons? You have to stop until the pond is cycled and stabilized. We need to know how you are filtering your water to remove ammonia. When I started my pond two years ago I started with 15 fish but the pond was 3000 gallons. 200 gallons is not a lot a of space for GF.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I'm sorry. I had one fish then added 5 more for total of 6 fish for 200 gal. area for fish. About 7 feet of stream. For the filtration I have a bag of charcoal inside the skimmer with two types of screening to filter out pollen and seeds from the trees. I keep adding bacteria for cold water to get the pond growing from starting the new pond. I ripped out old pond and started all new.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm sorry. I had one fish then added 5 more for total of 6 fish for 200 gal. area for fish. About 7 feet of stream. For the filtration I have a bag of charcoal inside the skimmer with two types of screening to filter out pollen and seeds from the trees. I keep adding bacteria for cold water to get the pond growing from starting the new pond. I ripped out old pond and started all new.
:) don't be sorry, I hope I didn't sound angry... :cautious:

Can you provide a few details? Pictures of the pond would be immensely helpful
1) pump size for filter? you should have one that can pump at least 200 GPH, more even better
2) do you have aeration? sufficient oxygen is needed by the bacteria and fish
3) are there leaves or other debris in the pond decomposing
4) I suggest doing a partial water change to help lower the ammonia in the short term (~20%)
5) how much are you feeding the fish? This time of the year, I don't do much feeding with all the bug they get
6) consider adding plants to help complete the nitrogen cycle. Don't be a slave to adding bacteria.

hope this helps and sure others are here for you as needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
Here are the pics... Water is a little better. I have a 2500 gph pump. I don't have aeration from the bottom. Just the stream. The bottom of the pond is clean. I feed the fish only what they can eat while standing there. I have to stop the pump so it doesn't suck up the food before they can get to it. I have plants. Still more to come.

IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2452.JPGIMG_2445.JPGIMG_2447.JPGIMG_2449.JPGIMG_2447.JPGIMG_2451.JPG

Reaction score
You seem to be concerned because your numbers are high. I would recommend that you throw away the test kit and forget about trying to do anything. The fish are active and when they are hungry they will eat. Once your 6 fish get larger you will have to find a new home for them and keep it down to about 2 or 3. If you have koi then even 1 will be too many By the way your pond looks great.

Ask a Question