Can someone confirm if this is a dragonfly nymph.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I noticed a few of these in the pond this week. This morning I went out to see at least a hundred or more of these. Not sure what they are as I am not familiar with seeing
20180803_105222~2.jpg
insect life cycle in a pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks. I showed a picture to someone today, they seemed to think dragon fly, like I said I have not seen water insect life cycle up close before. They are strange but interesting, I'm not certain I like how many there is in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
:LOL:You just never know what might show up in a pond! A couple weeks ago I had a snake, so beetles might be a better bargain!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
These have my fish freaked out for some reason. Need to investigate what exactly they are, and what benefits if any they provide.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Be careful of those Water boatman insects. Some of them can have a bite that feels like a wasp sting.
I have had many and have observed them hang out in the reeds watching out for small fish fry to eat.
I have also seen a group of them attack a sick wasp that was struggling on the water surface.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. Not sure why I have so many all of a sudden. I have been watching them as they seem interesting, I now know why the internet is full of conflicting information. According to online sources, they live on the bottom only come up for air, they live on the top and only dive for cover. Get rid of them as they will eat everything and ruin my pond, keep them as they are such a benefit. The internet can really annoy at times. I'm wondering if they are the reason one of my koi had a red patch on it fin, I do know my fish are acting off. @MitchM I think you're correct in that they hunt, I went out early, I saw four swimming around a beetle caught in the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That's what I love about aquatic environments, they're always changing in order to reach a balance.
My minnow population would increase, soon thereafter the boatman population would increase and reduce the minnow population.
On and on it goes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's what I love about aquatic environments, they're always changing in order to reach a balance.
My minnow population would increase, soon thereafter the boatman population would increase and reduce the minnow population.
On and on it goes.

I was going to say the same thing - nature, left to Her own devices, keeps things in check. Those bugs are there for a reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You're right, my pond is only in its infancy, and for all intents and purposes, it feels like I dug a whole new little world into the ground. I don't know what I enjoy the most yet, or all of it equally. Many species of birds, insects, plants, fish, what happens on such a tiny scale in and around the pond seems endless.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's so true! And you learn to pay more attention to what's in and around your pond and why. Nature is very cool and it's fun to have a hand in creating something that the wildlife uses and appreciates!

In our area your yard can be designated as a wildlife habitat. Having a water source is one of the requirements as all living things need water. I consider myself designated - haha! (Maybe certifiable is more like it!)

Reaction score
Country
United States
1st post from newbie: It is quite a learning experience to say the least. Now I just found out I most likely was killing future dragon fly's when I was trying to eradicate nasty water bugs that had moved in to help keep the tadpole population in check.

Ask a Question