Can someone guide me to a DIY pond kit?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am all ready researching for next year a bigger pond,I'd like a 400+ gallon one,but with all the info and kits out there,I can't figure out what size liner I would need to accommodate my needs,I'm thinking of a 6x6 4 ft deep,any help would be great,thanks:happy:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! So, it sounds like you already have a pond, but you want to go bigger....? Will you have fish and what kind? I can't help you about a kit, but you can google "pond liner calculator" and there are lots of sites to help you determine the correct size liner. Here's one I just did based on your measurements. Remember to add AT LEAST 2' on all sides.

IMG_9623.jpg

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Are you set on digging a pond? If you want a raised pond....I bought a nice raised pond from Costal Pond Solutions (http://coastalpondsolutions.com/index.php) (a.k.a. Kim's Ponds http://kimsponds.com/). It is about 6 x 6, 425 gallons and 30" deep. It is a complete kit with pond frame, preformed EDPM liner and pump or filter (2 options). They have one that is larger, too.

This is a pic from when I first installed it in early April.

019-May_8.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Webb's Water Gardens online has some and I've found the customer service people to be very helpful. They know their merchandise. There's a place to click on the left hand column that is all pond kits. They have a ton of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hello and welcome! So, it sounds like you already have a pond, but you want to go bigger....? Will you have fish and what kind? I can't help you about a kit, but you can google "pond liner calculator" and there are lots of sites to help you determine the correct size liner. Here's one I just did based on your measurements. Remember to add AT LEAST 2' on all sides.

View attachment 100755
I also added extra on both sides, knowing that I might run into some interesting situations while digging. And knowing that I was a little extra super excited to have a pond and would undoubtedly want to make it a tad bigger. (And I did!) :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
17x17 ft liner , if u want a shelf then may b 20x20ft, i would recommend making it 25x25 if u have budget and space, that will allow u to extend pond whenver is needed in future as fishes will grow and multiply in few years .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am all ready researching for next year a bigger pond,I'd like a 400+ gallon one,but with all the info and kits out there,I can't figure out what size liner I would need to accommodate my needs,I'm thinking of a 6x6 4 ft deep,any help would be great,thanks:happy:
Thank you for your help with the calculation,I started the digging process this past weekend,would like to get it up and running by the end of august,I have a few koi and some goldfish now,and the goldfish are at there max.size,I been lifting them in the fall and bring them in the house,the last 3 years,who would have thought the pretty feeder fish for 39 cents would be so hardy,the koi i just got from petco,so i doubt if they are high quality,but I like them just the same,some are 3 inches or less,and a couple are 4-5 inches and growing,So I felt it wouldn't be fair to them not to have a bigger pond,just want to do the right thing for them,so I am slowly but surely getting this pond done for them.Any tips on filters ,pumps would be a great help,I have been through trial and error,which is a learning process,thankful I haven't lost any fish yet,keeping my fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thats beautiful,Can you over winter fish in it?:)

Yes. This will be my first winter, but I have been told by members on this forum that with aeration and a heater to keep a hole in the ice, it shouldn't be a problem.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have 8 comets, although they are all under about 5" at this point. The all in one submersible that came with it supposedly does 961 gph.

I was referencing the OP. She stated that she had some Koi and a few Goldfish. She will need a decent size pond to carry that high of a fish load, expecially being that some are Koi.
You are fine with 8 Goldfish. Sorry for any confusion.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was referencing the OP. She stated that she had some Koi and a few Goldfish. She will need a decent size pond to carry that high of a fish load, expecially being that some are Koi.
You are fine with 8 Goldfish. Sorry for any confusion.

I must have missed where she mentioned her Koi.

Ask a Question