There are millions of little eggs I cannot identify. Can someone help?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, all. I just transferred some fox tail and parrot feather into the nets of my Koi pond from other ponds I have not cleaned yet. Yesterday, my husband was doing a partial water change, forgot the pump was going, and I caught it with about 6 inches left. We refilled the pond, running the water 30 minutes at a time. I kept check on the PH, added a little organic baking soda to bring it up, and everything looked fine.
Today, I go out and see millions of eggs on the bottom of the pond, and in the plant nets. We have an 800 gallon pond, I added 6 cups of salt. One of my fish are laying on its side on the bottom, the rest are swimming around and very active. The water is also a little frothy.

We're in wooded country, I don't know if these are friendly frogs eggs, they have no protective membrane surrounding them.
I'm very worried. Can anyone help me identify these eggs and what to do about them.
Thanks in advance.

Amber

SAM_2361.JPG SAM_2362.JPG SAM_2363.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Salt helps with the health of the fish and in getting rid of parasites, fungus, infection, etc. It is usually recommended that you add 1% according to your water volume.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow! Thank you, Tula and mrsclem.
We have 13 Koi. The largest is about 24" head to tail. I know that's not how you're supposed to measure koi, but that is the best I can guess. The smallest is about 8", an accidental baby we found when we moved plants from their pond to a plant pond and found him the next year amidst the muck. Most of them are in the 18" to 20" range.

I am so happy to know these are friendly eggs, they have been eating them. My plants are in nets because they eat them all. The nets are the only protection I have for the plants to add to their oxygen and eco system.

I guess I lost Blondie because of the trauma of the low water situation. :( It hurts my heart, but I am so glad my others are not in danger.

Thank you so much for your responses.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - fish eggs. Your fish that is laying on the bottom is probably exhausted from spawning. The extreme (although unintentional) water change can trigger spawning.

I, too, am curious about the salt. I've heard talk of it before but never understood it nor seen it recommended anywhere outside of the aquarium world. These are freshwater ponds - are you concerned about killing off microbial pond life? What about pond plants? Just curious!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What would concern me long term is the fact that you have a dozen koi in 800 gallons which is quite a lot of koi in a relatively small pond. With that many eggs the remote possibility that some will become fry and live long enough to continue growing will only add to those numbers.

Ask a Question