Can you “treat” an old pond liner to re-waterproof? Explained...

Reaction score
Country
United States
If water isn't draining anywhere then the membrane is porous whatever the cause with a little work it can be fixed. Not that it matters but was it leaking before the new piping was done? Don't try to do the job halfway it will just take longer. It's like remolding a house versus building a new house. Cement doesn't stick to rubber so just take the rocks off the top and clean them up. Remove the piping that is going through the liner, this only increases the chance of something leaking. If the original liner is really folded a lot and uneven then pull it out and line the pond with an old carpet that you can find at the curb on any given day or contact a carpet store and ask them for some used carpet. Put a new liner in and a skimmer. Either reuse your external pump (bad idea water doesn't like to be pulled) or put a new pump in your new skimmer. Reuse the stones for the edge but don't cement them, and enjoy your pond for the next quarter of a century. Total time 2 days three at most. Cost much less than doing the job with gunite or having to do it again after coating it with something else that doesn't work.
Well, I just bought this pump and filter setup, and a skimmer (although desirable) doesn’t really work with the surrounding landscape stones. But I agree with the rest of what you said.
Maybe if I did remove all the cap stones, I could get a skimmer in there somewhere. But will still keep the external pump. Even a seep or tiny leak from those pipes would be acceptable. Not optimal, but compared to what I’ve been dealing with...

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you remove the cap stones, try to label them so it won't be a hassle knowing where they belong. Mark or tag them somehow underneath. Do it in sequence so you know which goes where and maybe use an arrow to indicate what the orientation was. You can sketch it out or take pictures.
Take the suggestion from mgmine about not piping through the liner. More chance of leakage that way.
I also prefer submerged pumps although some here have external ones. There are pros and cons with both.
I’m all in with the external for now, so that really not something to change now. It’s all brand new ($1k).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I prefer my external pump, always have. I do pull it for the winter. I like all shut off for winter. Except pond breathers

Ask a Question