Cannibal

Reaction score
Country
United States
He is a All White Butterfly Koi, 3 inches, indoor 15 gal aquarium (baby Tank). Two 2in goldfish, Two 1 and a 1/2 platy's, and another 3 inch butterfly koi(tiger strips) female. This bad boy would rather eat the fins off his tank mates than ANY type of feed.
Are they lacking in something? Indoor aquarium, cannot overfeed, have tried, took two weeks to straighten tank. I have him in his own 3gal tank now, of course he eats food given, nothing else to munch on! haha. Thought about releasing him into outdoor pond to fend with the ADULTS but He is SO Beautiful and we love to keep select babies in house to Watch. What to do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Have never had a koi chew on fins before. My guess is he simply needs more room to explore, and is bored with his few tankmates, thus the biting fins. I'd find another baby to watch grow, and put him in the big pond. LOL Oh, and do you have pics of your beauties? :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have never had a koi chew on fins before. My guess is he simply needs more room to explore, and is bored with his few tankmates, thus the biting fins. I'd find another baby to watch grow, and put him in the big pond. LOL Oh, and do you have pics of your beauties? :)
Yes, will post pics later today, when i was thinking about outdoor pond, I was mad at him! LOL All white don't do well outside, birds spot them too easy but young ones catch on quick to use every bit of 6ft depth! But alas, I know he has to go with the Big fishes! Too big now anyway for indoor, just checking they weren't missing any nutrients, however i did find out from my koi guy that i should put some grass balls in indoor tank for nibbling!

I love this website! Thank You!

Reaction score
Country
United States
6 fish in 15 gallons? I think I'd eat my tank mates too, just to get more room for myself!

GENERAL rule of thumb, 1 gallon for every inch of fish!

I have had this set up for 8 years! This is the first male that has been "bad". The platys will chase the goldfish away from their nest but not the koi! They leave THEM ALONE!!!

My outdoor pond is 30000 gallons! I'm pretty sure I got this, Lisa, but thanks for chiming in!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm pretty sure I got this, Lisa, but thanks for chiming in!!

I think my attempt at humor was lost there. My apologies.

Sounds like you have a beautiful pond - have you posted pictures? 30000 gallons would be a dream pond for me!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Someone with such a large pond seems like they would want a bigger aquarium. 15gals is small in my opinion for koi but at least you have a pond to put them in when they get bigger. My aquarium was 90gals before my pond and I thought that was small. My koi never nip at the others fins so no help there. Any reason not to put the bad koi in the big pond? BTW would love pictures of the 30,000 gal pond

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Could be the koi is stressed by the small tank and wants to show the other fish he is the dominant boss. The other fish are easy targets in a small area. Perhaps this koi wants to start the breeding process and is very frustrated. I'd put the beauty in the pond and get another one for your tank. Boy will he love that 30,000 gal pond I bet! Can you share pix as I'd love to see that big pond too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I had 2 piranhas once and came home to find one had had the otherfor lunch!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, we all want to see pics of not only your "bad boy" white butterfly koi, but also your 30,000 gal pond! I was going to ask if you REALLY meant to have that many zeros ... I thought maybe 3,000 was the real number. If it's 30,000, you have many of us drooling to see it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaGrapeStables

Latest Threads