CAPTURED!

Reaction score
Ok recently my ponds have been a haven for fish eating predators , i had three ponds with a total of about 30 fish , well after 2 or 3 disappeared from one pond i spent an evening watching and sure enough an owl ( a big one) swooped in for the kill , i scared him off with some hooting and hollering and the help of an "air soft" pistol ( shoots plastic BB's ) only aimed at branches near him not at him it seemed to work he never came back , anyway several days later i noticed a lot of fish were missing "hmmmm" i said to myself , "he's back " but no! not an owl this time "mama Hawk" (redtail) was bringing fish dinners to her new little ones , my fiance' saw her swoop and take one ,"damn it " i said to myself and proceeded to buy a bird net " aha that'll stop 'em !" and for the pond furthest away i built a makeshift pergola over it so no bird could swoop , yay!!!!! it worked no more bird predators , so a few weeks later what do i find ? well i find on successive days dead fish floating and one (only one)) missing "hmmmm, what would only take one but kill two or three?" raccoon , cat, turtle? ohhhhh no! more sleepless nights , so anyway after a few relatively unproductive seek and destroy missions on my part i gave up and noticed the fish were doing ok , Well today!! oh yes today ! i was feeding the fish when i noticed a movement out of the corner of my eye , actually it kind of startled me and with a step back i noticed this strange creature long slithery brown with 3 yellow stripes along its serpent like body , i thought its a snake a garter snake ! but what kind of snake has a fish tail for a tongue :razz: haha , oh yes it had a fish in its mouth , so i found a pair of pliers (just in case my snake i.d was incorrect) and captured the rascal, now i am the owner/jailer of a two and a bit foot garter snake , i would release it but i have to take it to the woods far away to be sure it wont return , its 105 degrees and probably hotter in the land rover so i shall wait for this evening ..... But it is CAPTURED!!!!!, just thought i'd let you all know ....

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Unfortunately, fish are the second-lowest item in the food chain, just above chicken! :grumble:
John

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Hawks and owls like snake meals ,sounds like you live in a natural predatury haven ,I guess a lasso around the pond is out of the question ? LOL ,all you need now is a BEAR ,The heat causes everything to water areas ,Wish ,I really had some simple good advice .Keep us posted ,I doubt a motion detector would have picked up on the snake.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WarnerBirm

Latest Threads