Check Valve Problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an AquaScape 2" check valve that has worked well for 8 years. Lately it appears that the disk inside has flipped and is now blocking the water from the pump to the bio falls. Is this a common problem and can it be fixed. Going on vacation today. Please help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. The disk was loose and I drilled holes in it. Using a sharp chisel was able to break up parts of disk and removed it. Reinstalled the body of the valve in the skimmer and connected it to the pump. Flow to bio falls is back to normal, but no longer have a working check valve. Will replace the valve after vacation.

Did call AquaScape and the indicated that the disk should be on a hinge and the valve needed to be replaced. They made no suggestion on how to do a quick fix to get water flowing.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This particular problem is common with this Aquascape check valve. My temporary (sometimes permanent) work-around was to insert a section of smaller PVC. This held the loose flap out of the way and allowed water flow. Flow was restricted a bit but not that noticeable.
Sadly, there is no way to repair this problem. Valve replacement is the only option.

Ask a Question